Taksin Finds Out Cowboy Will Be Flooded...!

rookie

I've seen almost of all of the pisstakes done with that (seriously brilliant) footage - saw the movie itself years ago, but it would be hard to watch it again with the various 'overlays' running around my head.

As much as I hate to admit it, the movie ('Downfall', from memory) the first time anyone has portrayed Hitler as a human being - a deeply flawed human being, but a human being nonetheless. The German Swiss actor absolutely nailed it, although I cant say that I was actually in that bunker in 1945. Thankfully.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downfall_%28film%29

Der Untergang is indeed a great movie. And the actor whom did Hitler really did a good job.

As a huge fan of WWII movies/series and War movies/series in General this is one of the best ones I have ever seen in my opinion.

Now in general German WWII movies/series are a class apart! Way better than most others.

W

Der Untergang is indeed a great movie. And the actor whom did Hitler really did a good job.

As a huge fan of WWII movies/series and War movies/series in General this is one of the best ones I have ever seen in my opinion.

Now in general German WWII movies/series are a class apart! Way better than most others.

W

I liked the German movie that was filmed almost entirely inside a tank in WWII - very claustrophobic - and there is another showing a Russian tank crew in Afghanistan back in the 80s. That should have been mandatory viewing for every American serviceman from 1998 on, IMO.

You weren't going to get me into a tank or an APC. Ground pounders love their freedom of movement. Armour is a sitting target, and if you do get killed it is going to be nasty ... like burning to death. The 'PCs were even worse, since a ordinary .50 cal round could pierce it. I saw an PC hit a mine on a sweep north of Kontum. Blast came right though the bottom and blew the fark out of the guys inside it. We called the PC's "moving coffins".

p.s. Das Boot made me wonder why anyone in their right mind would serve in the U-boats. Something like 80% of the U-boat crewmen were killed. Even about 25% of the US submariners died in WWII

Yeah, but when you watch depictions of unarmed merchant ships being torpedoed by U-Boats, its hard to have any sympathy. I'm sure both sides did it, but a lot of German resupply would have been overland (train carriages converted to carry ack-ack guns ?)

Flash, when I consider the 2 years remaining on my sentence, I tend to get a bit glum - then I think of what people went through in various wars, including Vietnam, and what they are still going through in the Middle-East. Film-makers like to set the scene in Saigon and Baghdad by showing new troops disembarking as coffins are loaded onto the plane for the trip home.

Nothing like a little perspective, is there ? 2 years - luxury, sheer luxury ! :elephant:

Archived