phoning schools

greg

Not sure if this question should be in the Legal/visa section or in here.

I have had e mail correspondence with a potential employer. I am now going to phone the school about setting up an interview when I arrive in Bangkok.

I have never don this and was therefore after several bits of advise.

In order to get an immigrant visa issued in UK the girl at the consulate told me to get proof of an interview before I left. Therefore are the school likely to provide this, what would be required from them?

Also what can I expect, is the standard of English going to be reasonable. What would they generally ask?

Any help gratefully received

"I have never don this and was therefore after several bits of advise.

In order to get an immigrant visa issued in UK the girl at the consulate told me to get proof of an interview before I left. Therefore are the school likely to provide this, what would be required from them?

Also what can I expect, is the standard of English going to be reasonable. What would they generally ask? "

After reading your post a couple of times, I suspect that there was a communications error between the person you talked to at the Consulate and you.

I belive you cannot get an "immigrant visa" (which would probably be what is called a non-immigrant visa) until you are hired and your employer puts the paperwork through.

Your best bet would be to enter Thailand on a tourist visa. At least that's what the Los Angles Constulat says to do (its speaking to U.S. citizens).

If the Consulate in the U.K would really issue some sort of a a visa so you can go to your interview, then the consulate is the authority on exactly they need in the way of proof. When you call the consulate back, it will give you a chance to clear up the question of whether they are giving you an "immigrant visa" or a tourist visa, and whether you really need proof of the interview.

RickF

Thanks RF

You are of cousre right

"I meant a non immigrant visa B"

I think the girl in the consulate was trying to be accomodating as I told her it was hard to get upfraded from a tourist visa to a non immigrant visa B if you are not in the UK.

I also explained that it would not be feasible to fly to Thailand just for an interview get a job fly home an upgrade the visa, therefore she compromised on just an interview.

Can tourist visa's be upgraded in Thailand?

This thread should be moved to the visa section me thinks.

"Can tourist visa's be upgraded in Thailand? "

Short answer is no.

You should be able to get a non-imm type B based on the interview request. If you then are hired you will be eligable for the work permit and 1 year entry stamp. If enter on a tourist visa and get hired, you will have to leave and get a type B somewhere (does not have to be UK).

Try to insist on the type B now. Will save a lot of hassle later.

TH

Thanks TH

I thought this was the caze regarding visa Upgrades.

I know this seems a lazy Q's but the consulate is a 140 mile round trip. Any idea what the consulate would need as proof of interview?

Also if I get a work permit thus permiting a one year stay would I still have to do a visa run every 90 dyas?

The documents required for a type B seem to vary considerably depending on embassy or consulate. I have no experience with UK. Maybe some other posters will help. You can always call and ask what they need. Maybe just a letter on the school letterhead will be enough.

With the type B you then get a work permit, which allows then allows you to get a 1 year stamp (you must report address every 90 days- see thread on TM47).

I am not really expert on this as we have a person in company that takes care of everything. Been here 18 months and I have never even been to Suan PLu immigration. Had to go to Labor Dept once.

TH

I am not really expert on this as we have a person in company that takes care of everything. Been here 18 months and I have never even been to Suan PLu immigration. Had to go to Labor Dept once.

Well, I have been a couple of times in the last 9 years but those government liaison officers are pretty useful folks to have around.

Greg - what kind of school is it that you are applying to? If it's an international school, there are major implications relating to you being interviewed there.

LG

"Greg - what kind of school is it that you are applying to? If it's an international school, there are major implications relating to you being interviewed there."

Hi LG

What do you mean by this?

I think it is an International school however in the literature thay sent me they have stated I will get a year visa health insurance etc.

They are called the Fun Language school located on

Thonglor Road

Sukhumvit 55

I have not called them yet saw I was interested in knowing what was needed from them to get the Non immigrant visa B.

I don't think it will make any difference in this case but most of the major international schools here will have 2 types of contract, one for overseas hire which they would recruit through recruitment fairs or adverts in the TES and interviews in the UK (for British system schools, for example) and one for local hire where they have interviewed the candidate in Bangkok. It often doesn't matter where you are normally based or why you were in Thailand, it is just about where you are interviewed. In a lot of instances, the main difference would be relocation expenses and flights but some have separate salary scales and benefits schemes.

When I came out here, the letter from the school to get the non-immigrant 'B' was sent to me after I was appointed.

LG

Greg

Where are you in the UK ?

It may be that there is a consulate nearer you than you think. It took me a long time searching to find out the up to date information that there was one in Glasgow. ( Both on the web and the actual embassy as well )

Also when I finally tracked it down I was told I could have sent the passport to any consulate by mail for any type of Visa. I did not have to make a personal appearance. But it does cost more.

I came on a 60 day tourist and will shortly do the visa run to convert to a non imm b whilst my permit comes through. Anyway, the 60 day tourist can be extended by 30 days just by going to an immigration office for I think 500B

Archived