Thailand Jails Us Man Joe Gordon For Royal Insult

The_Munchmaster

The accepted method of middle class Thais seems to be to have their sons take "Raw Daw" (ROTC) in high school and university. When they complete the course, they are given one pip as a 2nd Lt and assigned to the reserve. They will never be called to active duty unless the country is invaded! If he doesn't want to go to university, there is always the soft option of enlisting in the Air Force.

In the US one takes ROTC with the intention of serving at least a few years. In Thailand they do so to avoid having to serve!

Wealthy Thais seem to take the option of bribing the officials to ensure that he draws a "pass" in the draft lottery. :p

It is mostly the poor folks who get conscripted (sound familiar?). They are the ones who go into combat arms.

Hi,

"The accepted method of middle class Thais seems to be to have their sons take "Raw Daw" (ROTC) in high school and university."

Yep. Our son did that as well, much to the chagrin of my wife who figured it would do the kid a world of good to be a soldier for a while :)

BTW, how do the schools deal with this? What I mean is, every week a lot of the boys are gone for half a day while the rest of the kids is getting an 'education' (I use that term lightly ;) ). Never noticed the kid having to somehow make up those missed hours.

Sanuk!

In high school they just seem to roam around in packs in very badly fitting uniforms. I'm not sure what they actually do at school, maybe listen to lectures and watch films. The university level is obviously more serious. They have training on weekends, plus a final summer training camp several months long (usually seems to be at Tak). God help Thailand if these "officers" are ever called to active duty in an emergency.

If Joe Gordon had been able to wait until 2014, he could have had his medical treatment under Obamacare. As a used car salesman, I doubt if he had health insurance through his job. He should have immigrated to a country that has universal health care, instead of the U.S. His health problems will probably lead the King to give him an early pardon.

Archived