Beer Lao Curmudgeon

panadolsandwich

Beer Lao will give you a bear of a hangover - really nasty taste in the mouth to boot. About the only commercial beer I've had in LOS that didnt knock me around was Beer Leo, but I didnt keep a diary of how many of each I consumed. Depending on my mood and what was on offer, I made do with any of the following:

- Beer Lao

- Beer Leo

- Carlsberg

- Heineken (I know..)

- Angkor (I like, a lot), Anchor and Tiger : could well be the same stuff in different cans for all I know

- San Mongrel, er, Miguel

- Fosters (dont ask me where they got that from, but beer is beer, right ?)

- Chang (not bad)

- Singha (nothin like a formaldehyde hangover ..)

- Coopers Sparkling Ale - again, where did they get it ?

By far, the single worst beer for a hangover is our own VB, and some wombat came up with this version of their ditty for Beer Lao:

You can get it doing Karate, you can get it taking a bow, You can get it shopping the floating markets, matter of fact, I've got it Lao.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coopers is available at Rimping supermarkets in Chiang Mai and I saw Pale Ale in Tops here a few weeks back.

I've drank gallons in the past, it's a good drink for someone that only likes one or two drinks.

I drank Leo for years here, and before that Carlsberg.

Cent's story site had a series of articles by a guy who road tested local beers.

Very enjoyable reading.

I dont mind Beer Bintang when I'm in Indonesia, and I've also had it in Malaysia. They seem to assume that Bule are all alcoholics (hmmm..), and always bring you a 'longneck' bottle. Have had several people tell me that the price of beer in Malaysia has skyrocketed over the last few years, but it still seems cheap to me - even cheaper in Indonesia, of course. I dont remember beer being especially cheap in Cambo, but I wasnt buying it by the case.

Coopers is available at Rimping supermarkets in Chiang Mai and I saw Pale Ale in Tops here a few weeks back.

I've drank gallons in the past, it's a good drink for someone that only likes one or two drinks.

I drank Leo for years here, and before that Carlsberg.

Cent's story site had a series of articles by a guy who road tested local beers.

Very enjoyable reading.

I'd really appreciate the link to Cent's site if you could...

I dont mind Beer Bintang when I'm in Indonesia, and I've also had it in Malaysia...

I lived in Jakarta for a couple of years in the early 90's and found that Bintang gave me severe headaches.

My boss's (English c*nt) secretary was called Bintang. She was really cute and flirtatious but had really hairy arms and legs which was a bit of a turn off.

Archived