BBC Documentary on Pattaya

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, the documentary is taking a two pronged approach so to speak. It is drawing awareness to YaBa which is slowly creeping in to UK.

Holiday makers are going to Thailand are seeking it out in the UK. Although to be honest I cant see it taking hold.

He's also looking at Farangs based out there who are involved in the trade.

Last weeks episode was I thought not so good. this one I'm anxiously awaiting though.

STH

So they own bars out here, right?

Do things kick off down there in Pattaya, or are they well behaved now they're not in the shed?

I imagine the local constabulary in Pattaya would not appreciate any trouble of that sort.

I wonder if the world cup is on their agenda.

ya ba is only methamphetamine-speed,in other words.

ok maybe a bit more powerful.

i have worked in an a&e dept (emergency room) for 21 years and have seen the effects of speed for all this time.

i would not think it a new phenomonal or wonder drug to slowly reach our fair shores.

two girls i paid bar for in the past have been imprisoned for supplying in thailand.

one did'nt surprise me,but the other one did.

i thought the documentary was fun and interesting

it ended up proving exactly the opposite of what it set out to do

I was amazed by how difficult it was for the undercover investigators to get hold of drugs both in Bangkok and especially at the full moon party

if they tried a similar set up in any English city they would've been able to find a much wider range of drugs far quicker and effectively than in Thailand

shit, I'm in Cambridge (not exactly known as a drug capital of europe) at the minute and if I wanted to, I could walk out of the house and be back with as much speed, coke, heroin or E as I could afford within 20 minutes or so - I don't even live in Cambridge - yet it took the investigators so long and they needed to be taxi'd over to secret destination just to get a little bit of speed - absolutely hilarious

Yeah,I agree about their difficulties in obtaining the dreaded Yaba,that lad taking a taxi ride across town (his words) after requesting 4 tabs, and after all that only being offered one! Where I'm from in Manchester same applies to your experiences in Cambridge.

Spent a month with a TG in Pattaya two years ago,three nights from the end of my trip she turned up one night with a Yaba tablet,really shocked me in a way but I'v seen and been through all that crap in my younger days.

Anyways,she tells me she wants to try it coz she's been told by her co-workers it'll boost her enjoyment of the impending sex,when she finally manages to inhale it (after several efforts) she downs a wine cooler in one go and within a couple of minutes is completely unconscious,opposite to whizz in my experiences.So much for the boosting of her sex life,lol.

BTW, that Thai princess who was interviewed is a bit of allright,what a babe.

They did appear very green and naive, they could have got what they wanted a lot quicker, asking 90% of BG once you have bar fined them would guarantee you success.

The documentary was enjoyable, better than last weeks, where he was in Brixton walking round with a lap top trying to get mugged!

STH

Isn't that the same BBC guy the did a show in ecstacy about 5 years ago, decrying the it's horrible dangers? Some girl died and there was a public outrage against ecstacy. (Never mind the number of UK teenagers that die due to alcohol related incidents every weekend)

Not to dismiss the social ills caused by yaa baa use and the other activities surrounding it... I've quite a bit of first hand experience in the matter of amphetamines, and it can be ugly.

But,

I think the degree of the problem is hyped way out of proportion by the Thai media. And there is this kind of attitude of 'how dare you question the fact yaa baa is the worst problem in Thailand' around now. Much like it is when there is a 'drug war' going on in the States. 15 years ago the sky was falling in, and drugs were public enemy #1. You'd think the problem was solved by the draconian jail terms handed out willy nilly, given the lack of attention by politicians and the media. But drug use has really only declined about 20 or 30% since then. Heroin use seems completely immune to any inforcement - the number of users holding steady for decades.

I don't think Thailand is so different. The yaa baa fad will crest and fade, but still be around. The government will declare victory, and it will drop off the media radar screen for a decade or two.

"I think the degree of the problem is hyped way out of proportion by the Thai media."

I disagree with you completely. I have friends upcountry who have detailed to me the changes wrought in the social fabric over the years by this stuff. They've seen it get worse and worse and worse. Hasn't seem to have crested yet. This is different from heroin, that stuff never really caught on bigtime among locals, but yaba was, and still is to some extent, promoted as a positive thing, something cool. The vast majority of heroin passed through Thailand and on out; much more amphetamine staying here being consumed.

The Mcintyre Investigates program was remarkably bad and superficial. Since yaba is a problem everywhere in Thailand, I didn't get the point of them travelling to the all the way to Koh Pha Ngan to determine if it is freely available or not.

Why didn't they spend more time looking into the deeper social issues for Thailand from what is a cheap, easy-to-obtain, addictive and hugely popular drug?. And then he only spends 10 minutes trying to determine the Burmese involvement in manufacture and distribution. There were a series of fascinating articles in the Nation a year or so ago where they explained in detail the location of each yaba factory, the main entry points to Thailand, and the distribution networks.

Finally he tried to tie it all back to the UK, but the link to Thailand/Burma wasn't there since the meth-amphetamine found in the UK so far was made locally. Overall a shallow and sensationalistic bit work that didn't uncover anything.

Archived