Eminem Bar Owner - Chiang Mai

dave32

First time in Chiang Mai was in April 2010, a little after Songkran. Was in a small bar near the moat, can't remember the name. While shooting pool I played a game with a guy who said he was living there and teaching scuba diving (yes, in Chiang Mai, I didn't think to ask how or where). American.

Anyway, he seemed alright and was headed out on a pub crawl - wanted to show me around. Fuck it, why not. Well no sooner than we got out the door and this guy started bragging about his prowess with Thai women and how he could have anyone he wanted ---> and I deeply regretted my decision to tag along.

As we're walking down Loy Kreung (sp?) road we pass a couple places and he spots a girl sitting in front of Eminem bar (yes, the name and it's correlation to a shitty rap star made me a little apprehensive) but I digress -- my noxious friend like the girl out front and motions to have a beer there --> and tells me "watch this." So we walk in and he's a little intense and staring at the girl and she ignores him. He compliments her tatoos and she nods in acknowledgement and turns away. So, this guy gets angry. He tells the waitress 'what kind of service is this?' There's a guy sitting at a booth nearby, pretty mello, only other guy in the bar, and he asks 'what's wrong?' Turns out to be the owner. Late 40s early 50s, calm and humorous. So, my companion goes into a litany about bad customer service and what not and I'm just trying to hide and distance myself. I can't recall the conversation verbatim but it was pretty fucking stupid (on his part). Anyway, finally he says he's leaving and motions for me. I stood there debating internally my next move -- and this guy, already in a little tizzy, storms off (I suppose insulted by my hesitation). That was a relief.

So, the owner actually buys me a beer and we start chatting. He tells me he's Dutch. "Oh, you're from Pennsylvania?" Well, that got a smile. haha. Anyway, stayed a good couple hours and had some of the best conversation I'd had in a couple weeks. Turns out the man had some sort of existential wake up or something -- quit his job in Holland, sold his stuff, and moved to Chiang Mai to open a bar. I got an impression of contentment from him. Anyway, he was one of those uncommon people you meet that seemed to be exceedingly bright but stripped of pretentiousness and just... honest. Gave me some good advice.

So, on this last trip - mid November - I was looking forward to going back for another drink or so. Walked by on the first night -- didn't see him sitting out front. Came by the third night to say hi, and a girl grabbed me who recognized me from Spice. So I asked her -- where's the owner? She pointed to a lady at the bar. I asked her 'where's the guy owner?'

He died.

What? Are you fucking kidding?

"No, he died before I started here. Man from Holland?" Yes. "heart attack." "Yes, everyone love him."

And that was it. I left. And it started to sink in the next day. He had given me his card prior but I lost it and couldn't remember his name. But I remember him. And there was a sense of loss.

...As we're walking down Loy Kreung (sp?) road we pass a couple places and he spots a girl sitting in front of Eminem bar (yes, the name and it's correlation to a shitty rap star made me a little apprehensive)...

Generally I hate rap, with the exception of Eminem who I thought was pretty good, particularly some of his lyrics. Haven't heard of him for a while though.

I like to hope there was nothing insidious involved with his death. He definitely left me with the impression that it was the best thing he'd ever done (don't get me wrong, he didn't portray life as all peaches and cream, and cited the difficulty keeping the bar afloat in sleepy CM).

Had a chance to meet a couple expats from London (they humiliated me at the pool table at Gullivers) this time around who shared a wealth of knowledge and whom I actually spent a couple nights with roaming the recesses of Sukh. I think they get a little jolt from the enthusiasm of us visitors, for whom the novelty hasn't worn off. Or maybe it's just amusing seeing someone make an ass of himself -- toward which I'm always willing to oblige. Hope I run into those guys again.

Had a chance to run into Mark at Bar4, pretty fucking sharp guy also with some good insight to impart. Nice place too. Will def be back there.

And then there was the old Scot getting married in a couple days sitting at Big Dog. Holy fucking shit this guy had me in tears, and I'm not the 'laugh out loud' type.

The only Expats I made a quick decision to avoid (and gave them an incorrect phone number) were unfortunately American and unfortunately from Southern Cal. (I say unfortunately cause that's where I'm from and was a little disappointed at the representation).

There's always Flash representing Scal well. :) Thank god.

Bumped into a few Aussies that were pretty fucking cool at Country Road -- but these guys were young and they proceeded to get drunk fast, I couldn't hang. Saw them later in the week and one said he woke up in the bushes (where are there bushes around Sukh?) and lost his wallet and phone. Smart guys though, glad nothing too nasty came of it.

I'm actually not that social, but the pool playing and the environment forces a little interaction. In a way I miss that - here in the big metropolis I rarely stray outside my circle of 3 friends.

So be it.

So you like Eminem munch? Hmmmmmm. Haven't quite got you pegged. I do like rap, the old stuff from the 80s early 90s anyway -- Eric B and Rakim, EPMD, old public enemy, etc. Eminem is just too whiny for me -- i hate that high pitched nasally whine.

I find the expats a bit of a mixed bag - some are happy to go with the flow with 'weekend warriors' (particularly if there is a beer in it..) but others are way too cynical about Thailand, even when accompanied by a Thai partner. Its especially tough when that cynicism comes from someone in their early 30s - just seems way too young to be getting caught up in that spiral. Lets just say that constant exposure to the Thai education system doesnt seem to go down well with most Westerners. A lot of the same sentiments are expressed here, but its harder to take when the beer starts to kick in and they get loud about the defects in the Thai personality - imagine an Aussie in LA droning on about what a 'bunch of fuckwits these Yanks are' ....

Archived