foreign gsm phone and thai prepaid card

zion

DTAC cheaper than Orange: I thought DTAC had a special rate if the called party is DTAC too (AIS has this kind of special rate - 4 B), I can't check this now but it looks like I was wrong.

Dprompt refill cards are all good for 100 days, and the 2000 B-SIMcards as well. Oranges 300 B refill-card is good only for 30 days, and their 1500 B-SIMcard for 50 days. So depending on how much you really want to talk Dprompt may still turn out to be cheaper (especially if you are not always in Thailand but you want to keep your number).

Orange does have a 1000 Baht refill card valid for 150 days, but sure if you call for 1 Baht a minute you will have 1000 minutes to go. I do not know if someone is calling that much in a short period of time.

Bullshit everyone !!

I bought a phonecard a SIM from AIS or as they call it "One 2 call" and it didnt work ofcourse.

I have a European phone, its work with other countries so it should work i thougt..

So I sent a complaint to AIS becouse I didnt see any info about international phones didnt work with their system..and to my surprise i got a long answer to my questions.

Whole e-mail is found here, and it is a must for everyone who want to use their phone in Thailand !!!

in short :

Bring your reciept for your phone to the customsoffice in the airport (possible to make a reciept of your own maybe ?) and there you have to pay 3% of the phones value...its nothing..

Then you go to a shop (in the mail mentioned AIS call center) and they will charge you nothing to change the IMEI code to go along with thai system...

You can also change it in MKB, Panthip or so for 300 B or more, but its illiegal.....Better to do it the right way.

Here is the mail :

Dear sir,

Thank you very much for your inquiry. It is our pleasure having a chance to serve

you best.

Refer to your email regarding the above subject, we are totally sorry to inform you

that it is the regulation of the Post and Telegraph Department, Ministry of

Communications, that does not allow all mobile operators in Thailand to provide SIM

Card (including the Prepaid ones) for any digital mobile phone which is not

registered in Thailand. But it is possible for you to register your mobile phone

with us in case you would like to use it with our One-2-Call Starter Kit (Prepaid

SIM Card).

In order to register your mobile phone with AIS operator, we would like you to

follow the process below:

1. Contact the Custom-house to pay the duty fee (about 3% of the mobile phone price

as customs tariff) at Immigration Division, Don-Muang Airport with the required

documents following:

- Your mobile phone

- The receipt of the mobile handset

Then you will get a receipt from the Custom-house confirming that you already pay

the duty fee.

2. Contact any AIS Outlets in order to register your handset to us with no service

charge. Please bring the required documents following:

- Your mobile phone

- A copy of your valid passport and visa

- A Customs receipt (from process 1)

*** To check out the branches of AIS outlets please --> click here.

*** To check the type-approval of handset please see attachment

3. If you have passed all the processes above, you can now use the One-2-Call

Starter Kit with your mobile phone right away.

Remark : Please be informed that One-2-call system can be used with the Digital GSM

mobile phone using in Thailand only. You can find more details about One-2-Call at

http://www.one-2-call.com

By the way, we would like to recommend you about our Mobile Fonerent Service that

you can rent our mobile phone to use during your staying in Thailand. Please find

more information at www.ais900.com or just click here!

Your kind understanding on this matter will be highly appreciated. And if you have

any further question, please do not hesitate to contact the AIS Priority Call Center

Tel. 0-2271-9000 or 1175 or email at callcenter@ais900.com 24 hours everyday.

Best Regards,

AIS Call Center

I do not understand your attitude and why "Bullshit everyone !!"

How come you are sooo frustrated about the situation.

First you did not look at the AIS website. It says:

FAQ

Can I buy a SIM Card only while in Thailand?

Solutions:

Unfortunately not. You have to buy both the SIM Card and handset.

Second it's generally known you have to pay 3% when you want to bring in foreign phone, afterwards there is NO imeichange whatsoever in the phone.

Third we all know we can change imei at MBK or someone who can do the job like me.

So what is your point here?

Indocel,

The main difference is that DTAC (not AIS) has opened their phones. So if you buy a DTAC sim card you can use your foreign bought phone with no problems.

AIS has never confirmed that they would open their network (but there was talk about it).

Good luck trying to get the form from Thai Customs ! However, this procedure is new - before you had to get a form from the Post and Telegraph Department, Ministry of Communications, but they would not give you this form (if it existed) without prior approval from AIS, who would not give approval.

1. Thai Customs would not allow the import of any mobile phone into Thailand without an Import License, which only the telephone companies could get.

2. AIS would not allow their import license to be use.

Therefore, (in the past), there was NO way to legally import a phone and use it with a Thai AIS sim card.

3. Read the last sentence, even if this works, you would not have any calling promotions, so it would end up being more expensive to use the phone here in Thailand.

========================

In reply to:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for you inquiry. We are glad you are interested in using our

service.

We would like to inform you that in order to buy a mobile handset from

abroad to register in Thailand you have to contact the Customs in order

to pay the tax. After you pay the tax, you have to bring the documents

from the Customs to the Post and Telegraph Department in order to have a

Type Approval. After that, you can register in the Digital GSM by

contacting us at the VIP counter, 9th Fl., Shinawatra

Tower 2, Pahonyothin 9, Bkk. Please bring along these documents when you

contact us.

1. The original and a copy of your Identification card, certified a

true copy.

2. A copy of your house registration document, certified a ture

copy.

3. The documents from the Customs and the Post and Telegraph

Department.

The registration fee is 4,070 baht. And after the registration, you can

use your mobile phone in Digital GSM system within 24 - 48 hours. Please

note that there is no promotion for registering a mobile phone from

abroad.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Priority

Call Center tel.(02)271-9000 or callcenter@ais900.com at anytime.

Sincerely yours,

AIS Call Center

I believe now the incentive to import a foreign phone (cheaper prices) is no longer valid so it may be only for special phones (PDA's, high end phones, not available in Thailand) that would make this new procedure worth the effort.

Would be interested in hearing about anyone who goes through with the procedures for AIS.

Cheers!

Archived