Could You......

sayjann

I expect that most of us could - big difference between that and the current generation who ssem to go out LOOKING for trouble. Some seriously fucked up units on the streets these days.

(Flasher, I have to admit that the one time I felt squeamish in basic training was the first time we did bayonet drills. It doesn't hit you until you are twisting that bayonet in the dummy's 'guts' just how horrific that would be on the battlefield. Still, when its him or you ..... )

i joined the Royal Marines as a 16 y.o. and loved my training to a large extent............but.

a couple of exercises by the trained marines in a mock battlefield bayonets fixed charge against the youngsters out of the blue and it was terrifying.

many of us froze and did'nt have a clue what to do,but afterwards we realised no actual bayonets were used.

just an exercise to test us and at that age i was frightened at seeing so many big men running at me and shouting at the top of their voices.

but in the event of real war i hope to think i would have reacted differently.

i only ask the question because of things i have heard of and at one time experienced.

i think many of us have tales of home invasion(some personal and some heard).

a friend of mine had an experience last week when he arrived home and saw his wife being assaulted by some fella after a motoring altercation.

he went mad and fought the other fella off,but it could have ended in death,who knows.

i had an experience a few years when i arrived home at around 11pm and knowing the house was empty and in darkness.

heard a noise upstairs and immediately grabbed a weapon,i had no idea what was going and the adrenaline started to flow.

found 2 kids who proberly not in their teens just having a look around after breaking in.

they seemed more scared then me and ran off while i let them go.

nothing was stolen and i think it was one of those occasions when young people do silly things.

but i sat down and just started shaking with what i imagined was fear and relieve as the thought about what had happened sunk in.

they ran off but if i had been attacked i'm sure i would have reacted and struck out.

2 little kids did'nt seem a problem in an afterthougt but if older assailants i would have fought for my life.

Maybe it's different in the US, but in Germany people who rob apartments are usually non-violent (that's why they break in when non one is there). They usually try to flee in case of problems...

And I don't think that any country aside of the USA has laws that permits to kill people, just because someone enters your ground/place.

And I think

I take it that drugs are not a problem in Germany and you would feel perfectly safe if an intruder that needed money to support their drug habit broke into your house? By the way, there is a legal distinction between robbery and armed robbery, with the latter receiving a far greater punishment.

I take it that drugs are not a problem in Germany and you would feel perfectly safe if an intruder that needed money to support their drug habit broke into your house? By the way, there is a legal distinction between robbery and armed robbery, with the latter receiving a far greater punishment.

I didn't say at all that we don't have burglaries. They seem to happen frequently. But it seems that 99% of the break-ins happen when the inhabitants are away and very, very rarely you read of armed burglars. As a criminologist once explained: burglars are usually cowards, the avoid any confrontation and flee in case of trouble. The need for arms because if burglaries is a non-issue in Germany - absolutely the opposite to the USA.

PS: If someone in Germany would kill a burglar he would be in serious trouble, unless the burglar tried to kill him.

A couple of years ago I read in the paper about a local chap who went to the States on holiday.Unfortunately he got lost one day and decided to knock on a house door to ask for directions.He must have banged on the door a bit too much because someone shot him right through the door :excl: Now he wont be going on holiday anywhere again :rip: .....glad I don`t live in the US.

Its on the evening news every night; an innocent person n being shot outside a front door. I did hear recently about a single mother in Oklahoma, with 2 small children, calling 911 about a break in even as she spoke to the dispatcher. She had a handgun and told the dispatcher she was going to use it if the perpetrators made it inside the house. She did shoot them and at least one died at the hospital. A couple of years ago, the police led a raid on an apartment.It turned out it was the wrong apartment. They broke in and then rushed to the bedroom, where a man was reaching for his gun. They shot him dead. I don't own a gun but do not begrudge someone that does own one. You hear about the instances where owning a gun plays out badly but not where the perpetrators are held by the victim or the victim saves themselves and possibly others. As long as gun laws in the U.S. are driven by the NRA, if a person can sleep better, knowing that a gun is within reach, more power to them. Only an idiot keeps a loaded gun around children, and, if the gun is discharged, the person is subject to the laws deciding their quilt or innocence.

PS: If someone in Germany would kill a burglar he would be in serious trouble, unless the burglar tried to kill him.

As Cav said, in the US you are allowed to use lethal force to defend yourself. If you are going to shoot, a burglar had better be facing you and armed. Firing on a fleeing intruder will definitely get you some time behind bars. You may fire in self defence only, not simply because you are pissed off to see a stranger in your home.

As Cav said, in the US you are allowed to use lethal force to defend yourself. If you are going to shoot, a burglar had better be facing you and armed. Firing on a fleeing intruder will definitely get you some time behind bars. You may fire in self defence only, not simply because you are pissed off to see a stranger in your home.

It seems that the new "Stand your Ground" law actually allows to kill a stranger, just because had trouble with him. I read that now criminals are using this law to their advantage.

IMHO US gun laws get more crazy every year.

IMHO US gun laws get more crazy every year.

in the UK it used to be very difficult to get a gun licence and therefore a gun.

i don't know what the criteria is these days but if i was allowed a licence and a gun i would'nt dream of it.

i know i would shoot myself in the foot whenever i picked the bloody thing up.

Archived