Essential Reading

stumpy

Well I followed the advice on Stick's site and got a copy of The Big Mango and I'm really enjoying it.

I've also read and greatly enjoyed Private Dancer. Is there anything else that I should be taking a look at?

The only other Thailand orientated book I've read is The Damage Done.

Thanks!

Hi stump_dog. Thanks for the encouragement regarding The Big Mango. I started that book, and haven't gotten back to it. Good start with Saigon and all, but I'm just lazy.

I'd also have to recommend Nick Nostitz's book named "Patpong, Bangkok's Twilight Zone." It mostly is a photo journal, but there are some monologues in there that really leave a powerful impression. I cherish my copy.

Of course, I consider the book about Phnom Penh named Guns, Girls and Ganja..., to be the ultimate portrait of an amazing era. That is, if you don't mind me straying slightly from your topic.

Have a good one smile.gif" border="0

i totally recomend the backpacker by John Harris, available at heathrow

here's a bit from the book

On the island of Koh Pha-Ngan, John, Rick and Dave pose as millionaire aristocrats in a hedonistic Eden of beautiful girls, free drugs and wild beach parties. But all is not as it seems and eventually their new world comes crashing around their ears as they become embroiled in the politics of the Thai Mafia, stolen passports and arson attacks.

Has anyone read 'Hello, My Big, Big, Honey'

Can't remember who it's by but that was a bit of an eye opener. It's a collection of letters from Patpong girls to Farangs and vice versa plus interviews with some of the bar girls. Not a bad book and cheaper than the others ( about 250 baht from Bookazine ).

Happy reading

Hi Stump.

There is a book called "The Scribe" by David Young.

To quote from the book's cover: "Henry Russell is the scribe. He makes a lving in Bangkok writing letters for Thai working girls. His messages of love go out to all corners of the globe, convincing lovestricken customers that the one night stand they experienced in the City of Angels could be the beginning of a beautiful relationship. He gives hope to the hopeless, comfort to the lonely, and carefully worded affection to the sick at heart"

Maybee we should have a poll on this:

Are you? Hopeless

Lonely

Sick at heart.

Fatbastard33

A great read set in Indo-China is 'The Quiet American' (an oxymoron?) by Graham Greene. Set in Vietnam in the early 50's during troubled times and French occupation etc.. A good perspective of a cross-cultural relationship. Well recommended.

[ November 16, 2001: Message edited by: Dan ]

Archived