Evangelical Costermongers

panadolsandwich

I'd had a real taste of the hops on Soi 4, that Irish pub has a great happy hour. I left not much after nine after the two pints I bought before happy hour closed. This happy hour is really four hours long (well five with afters), but I won't quibble. Great place to watch the comings and goings at dusk on the famous Nana Soi and do a reality check.

Anyhow I left glowing, and perhaps only moderately drunk, listing towards the left and the infamous Nana Plaza. I was halted when at the entrance, not exactly blocking the entrance, but certainly monitoring it were three young men. As I always do, I surveyed the scene across the street of the girls lining the Nana Hotel sign. One of the guys said most of them are lady boys, don't you know? I gave him a withering look, then I said, well if that's your sport why don't you enumerate them for me? He blushed and gave this look to his friend which he didn't think I'd catch (I'll pass this one on to you). So his friend kind of blustered and asked me what I'm doing here (if you please?).

Well this was damned impudence, no error, and I demanded to know what they were about and instead of clogging up the street why don't we repair to one of the many bars? The third guy, a very charismatic person, stepped in, while the other two looked abashed. He said they were from some evangelical church in some mid-west US town, and they'd been told to visit this area on some kind of point to point tour of Bangkok. For devilment I chose to deliberately misunderstand him and said even if you wear a condom most of these girls here will leave you with some memento of sexual disease.

That turned out be such a beautiful prompt to such a beautiful story. The charasmitic one told me how he was a virgin and that when he married there would be such a fuss made that seraphs would sing in heaven and the purity of the union would be left in no other hands then those of an all-loving God – or something like that, but it sounded very, very good at the time.

You see I'd just had a very impure time with these three girls that I was pondering and I guess he caught me at something of a disadvantage. I wanted some of this purity. My eyes misted up, and I told him that was a beautiful vision. Then I walked into Nana Plaza.

Sir ,

I would like to confirm at that stage that my last excursion to locate the headquarters of the Thai Bible Society led me into an evil place called Annie's . Obviously having met Satan I left in panic , after estimated 1,5 hours .

We have to be careful .

LOL, actually I was only going into Nana Plaza to return a bible that one of the girls had kindly lent me...

LOL, actually I was only going into Nana Plaza to return a bible that one of the girls had kindly lent me...

I am very glad to note that you could develop a strong awareness that the evil is almost everywhere . I may explain that I love buying books at Asia Books within the Landmark Hotel and leaving from there I usually send a prayer upwards asking for the strength to take the next BTS back to the river . And yes , it works . So far only when it is raining outside but we have to start from somewhere . Although Soi 4 being blocked off by holy people from the Midwest is against Thai traffic laws and illegal .

Well I wouldn't quite go so far to say they are illegaly blocking the entrance. I see them more as well-wishers. It's almost impossible to guilt trip me. I see them as an integral part of the scene. Just another obstacle to hurdle over in my pursuit of hedonism, along with the touts, the beggars, the katoeys, the taxi drivers and other assorted scum.

Perhaps it wouldn't be so much fun without them? LOL.

Archived