Actual BG/Farang Marriages

HSTEACH

db,

"Sorry for the confusion 300 + ( 1400 / 2 ) = 1000. "

Sorry db, I'm still confused. Your numbers of 300 and 1400 are in line with the years 2000 numbers I saw and quoted for Thailand. So I figure all the 300 fiance(e)s and 1400 spouses must be Thais. Why do you figure that half the spouses must be Thais and divide the 1400 spouses by 2?

If you had really meant what you literally said, that the US issues 300 fiance(e) visas and 1400 spousal visas per year, you would be so far off base that that can't be what you meant. You must have meant visas issued to Thais.

My numbers come from the year 2000 statistical report that was published on the INS web site earlier this week.

<http://www.ins.gov/graphics/aboutins/statistics/IMM00yrbk/IMM2000.pdf>

The report contains a lot of tables that slice and dice the numbers different ways. The table that showed K1 adjustments had a footnote for the K1 column that said 'includes fiance(e)s and children'.

Adjustments are anyone who came to the USA on a non-immigrant visa and then adjusted to immigrant status. That would include, I believe, K1s, students, workers, even B2s who marry while on their holiday and stay.

After you've reviewed the report yourself, please feel free to correct me if you think I've mis-understood any of the info I pulled out of the report.

Regards, JEff

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

db,

"I'm trying with that to get a handle on the number of farang husbands and husbands-to-be, rather than the number of Thai wives and wives-to-be which would be almost 100% [assuming Thai Man, American woman is not so likely]."

Yes, I agree that the number of Thai man / farang woman relationships is negligable, so we seem to agree that 100% (for the purpose of discussion) of the visas were issued to women. So again, why did you divide the 1400 spousal visas in half?

Also, assuming that the number of farang man / Thai katoey relationships is neglibible, isn't the number of farang husbands and husbands-to-be equal to the number of Thai wives and wives-to-be?

I'm missing something here!

Regards, JEff

db,

"Divided in half assuming [roughly] that many of the grooms are going to be non-farang, i.e. American-born Thai men or naturalized Thai men."

Let me think on that for a while. My gut instinct is that I disagree with this assumption. My guess would be that the ABTs mostly marry Americans (and that most of the ABTs are half farang with Thai mothers and farang fathers) and that the naturalized Thai men are (1) few and far between, and (2) brought their Thai wives with them when they came.

And if you are correct, why wouldn't the same reasoning apply to the fiancees? Why wouldn't American Thai men 'import' their women in the same proportion of fiancees / spouses as American farang men?

In the end, whatever the ratios, the absolute numbers aren't affected all that much. Are there 1400, 1000, or 850 Thai women coming to the US every year to be the wives of farang men? Round it off to 1,000 and compare it to the 200,000 spouses who were admitted to the USA in 2000. A drop in the bucket. But I guess that's starting to get away from the original question.

Regards, JEff

db,

"I'm having trouble imagining how naturalized Thais get to the US in the first place. Lottery? Conversion from student visas?"

I'm having the same problem. And I keep falling back on the same answer. They married farang men. But having said that, I see in my mind the hundreds of Thai people I've seen at the Thai wat in North Philadelphia. I would estimate that at least 1/3 are men, and 90% of those men are Thai. That's a lot of Thai men. Blows my arguement right out of the water.

Oh well.

Regards, JEff

My take on the situation is that most if not all K-1's are issued to caucausion Americans. We're talking marrying bargirls here, and what naturalized American citizen of Thai heritage is going to marry a bargirl? Not to damn many if any at all. A legal immigrant (Thai) that is not a naturalized citizen, ie, a green card holder, cannot get a K-1. They have to go the I-130 route. Some I-130's might be sponsered by a Thai national holding a green card or as a naturalized citizen of the US, having been officially married in Thailand, but K-1's(fiance visas) would be almost exclusively caucausion sponsered.

The numbers have to be substantial. You have to remember that Falang/Thai love afairs started back in the Vietnam war era. Yours truly was a young dumb ass stationed in Utapao and Nakon Phanom back in the early seventies, I remember seeing something about the military noting there was an average of one marriage a day between Thai and GI. Times that from 1965 or before to 1975 until the last US base closed up, how many days????

Most of the older couples you see in the US are the product of these marriages, these girls were former "teeloks" or working girls who became live in girlfriends/wives. Some of these marriages survived twenty-five or so years so who knows, others I know of failed badly.

IMHO in the last ten years you have a new wave of Falang/bar girl marriages and also Falang regular gal marriages, lots of couples in the US, just go to some Thai festival like Loi Klathong or Songkran in October or April in oneof the numerous Wats in the US and count 'em.

Dentface

HSTEACH,

"My take on the situation is that most if not all K-1's are issued to caucausion Americans."

My take on the situation is that none of the K1s are issued to caucasian Americans, because no American of any description needs a visa to enter the country. Assuming that you mean the K1s are issued to the fiancees of caucasian Americans, I and db agree with you.

The question db and I are pondering is how many of the spousal visas, which outnumber K1s by 4 or 5 to 1, are given to Thai women and how many are given to Thai men. What's your take on that?

Regards, JEff

Archived