Actual BG/Farang Marriages

HSTEACH

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must be thousands... I met with a friend from NZ this week who lives in a small town in NZ. He estimates there are 30 - 40 Thai / farang couples in that town and that they are ALL ex worknig girls.

In some of the big cities of the world and in some of the bigger countries, there must be thousands. And there seem to be more and mroe girls pulled out of the industry to be married off.

As far as a number goes, I have no idea, but my guess - and it really is just that - would be several thousand such marriages per year.

Stick

db,

"I can tell you that the US grants in the neighborhood of 300 fiancee visas per year -- I'd assume that the great majority of them are USMale/ThaiFemale. And 1400 spousal visas.

My gut tells me that most of those 300 fiancee visa are Falang-Thai and maybe half of the spousals. So 1000 falang take one home every year, let's say."

I'm a bit confused by your stats. In the 1st paragraph, the number of fiancee and spousal visas that the US grants per year - that's the number granted to Thais, yes? Inconsistent with the 2nd paragraph?

Anyway, in the year 2000 the US "admitted" 1,385 spouses and 416 children from Thailand. "admitted" being the sum of "new arrivals" and "adjustments". Also in 2000, 227 fiance(e) from Thailand were adjusted, including children, i.e. K1s + K2s. Some of these would have arrived in prior years, but some would also have been new arrivals in 2000, so there may be some overlap with the total of 1,801 spouses and children who were admitted.

A total of 3,785 Thais were admitted in 2000, so about half of the Thais who immigrate to the US do so as the immediate relative (spouse, child, or parent) of a US citizen. 2,978 of the 3,785, almost 80%, had no occupation or did not identify their occupation.

Regards, JEff

"... ie, offically (registering with the Ampur), or in a simple village wedding?"

Do you mean marriages that are officially registered in Thailand itself? The village ceremony is not official. Getting legally married outside of Thailand is not official inside Thailand unless the Thai government is notified in a prescribed manner.

What town is that Stick?

I live in Wellington and hang out at the Wat a lot and go to any Thai festivals going on. I'm constantly surprised at how many Thai people come out of the woodwork, and of course my girlfriend knows many.

There are some couples that "look" like they are bg/farang relationships, some don't, though who am i to judge. I was surprised to find out that some bgs keep on working here even though in a relationship.

There seem to be a lot of Thais who come here to study.

Off the top of my head, i can think of a dozen thai/farang couples i came across in SF. maybe more,if i think. the thai community around here is quite sizeable (each city block has AT LEAST a thai restaurant), but i also remarked that it is not always a sure fact that the girl was a BG. There are so many possibilities to meet some out of the trade, and many "in between",i mean a lot of ladies get swooped out as soon as they start. I met so many girls in LOS who were not per say, freelancers, but managed to introduce themselves quite well to the friendly world of farangs living in/visiting LOS, and get something out of it. Mia noi types, i guess. the income without the hustling....

I thought any legal marriage outside Thailand involving a Thai citizen would be recognized as being an official marriage by the Thai government. What notification process are you speaking of? Generally countries will recognize the marriage of one of it's citizens to a foreign national if that marriage is considered legal in the country in which it was performed.

Archived