Stickman On Nong Khai

panadolsandwich

We were in Nong Khai (photo of the town) for only one night. Besides the majestic beauty of the Mekong river (photo of a cheeky young boy smiling impishly, with a river somewhat v. distant), the place lacks charm, indeed style – it immediately makes you think that the people that inhabit this area (photo of a hard working old women the looks like a bit of a tramp), are without sophistication at all – but that would be a mistake. They also lack fundamental things like education; or even an intelligent awareness of what is going on around them. The former is hardly their fault, and if you are an intelligent observer, you find yourself pitying them – which adds to the overall gloomily oppressive miserable atmosphere. The corollory of this is a stunted city (cunning photo of an obvious slum shit everywhere, kids with no clothes, malnourished if poss., perhaps from Cambodia or Myanmar - Ed) , which by all means and purposes has every reason to thrive. There is a bridge to Laos (photo) there, and a ferry terminal (photo)– Nong Khai should be raking the cash in purely through import/export (picture of piles of Thai baht, scattered with US dollars). I leave the educated reader to guess why it is not.

I see young backpackers on rented bicycles with their beards and outlandish clothing (photo with one of those f. hippies – just get through AP), not that distantly I was like them . Perhaps I'm jaded, but I talked to a few and they seemed to be 'doing' Nong Khai on a kind of I quote, 'Well we can check this one off my list.' [Ed – perhaps Lonely planet could place an ad? - we really darn't wnt alienate that crowd - Ed]

I can talk 'Isaan'. In fact I talked to quite a few people throughout the Tha Sadet [check spelling - Ed] market, and I wouldn't say all, but most regretted the recent refurbishment of the riverside. One old lady touchingly told me that the place 'lacks character'. Furthermore, she said tourists are becoming younger and more stingier – a reference perhaps to the young friends I met earlier. [Ed – this is a fantastic story but we have to publish!!!!

Laotians cross the river and do their shopping in Udorn, bypassing Nongkhai. Sort of tells you something. Still, I taught a student from Nongkhai a few years ago who was half-German and had norks like coconuts. That must count for something.

Languages just seem to 'click' with me. I don't know why, or how, but they always do. Sometimes I prefer to 'play' in Thai, it's a playful language. English is so prosaic. I like to ask the old lady in the shophouse if she has a boyfriend? Banter, that's all it is. Even if all of England is staring at the screen - well....I am too

The council worked hard to make the river front a lovely walking boulevard, spent a lot of money, and the restaurant owners? The vast majority, instead of making the most of it and staying open at night and using the public space, close early if they open at all!

The few that do open and make use of this walking public space are the few Thai restaurants! The Farang ones are the ones you'd think smart enough to enjoy the view and place tables out there - NOPE, they close up and go home when it suits them.

Mut Me is one of the few places doing it smart and growing, the rest - it's dismal.

I really don't like the town, it just doesn't make the most if it's opportunities.

NOW - compare it too Chen Khan - that place KNOWS how to run a tourism business, it's great, a real buzz to it.

Archived