Lariam (Ok, I know this is not the Thorn Tree)

the_numbers

Lariam... I wanted to know if it is readily available there OTC? The once a week bit. I am going to be abroad awhile and the insurance here will only pay for one month before I leave.

I need to weigh my options?

Lariam available in my lovely Thai pharmacy, or will I end up with the hell-ish stuff that gives you nightmares??

regards.. and thanks.

Lariam is readily available in Thailand.

No matter you can find it OTC or not I strongly recommend you see a doctor before you buy it as there can be serious side-effects, and whether you should take it or not depends on where you want to go (resistances may vary).

In many places or better regions nowadays Lariam is the only choice. I took Lariam half a dozen times, one time for over three month and never had any serious side-effects, just some light sleep with irritating dreams, but always took some bottles of Heineken/Beer Lao/Kingfisher to get deeper sleep. Don't take this as an advice, 'cos Lariam and Alkohol can hit your liver very hard. Malaria is nothing to fool around with (my grand-dad died of it), so if you're planing a longer trip or just staying in a region for a couple of time, consult a doctor and do some recherche online. And pls don't trust some wannabe drop-outs at Lonely Planet or the modern legends around. Bye, H.

Doxycycline is the drug of choice for prophylaxis in the Thai/Cambo and Thai/Myanmar border areas because of resistance against Lariam. Lariam (doxy as a second choice) is still recommended for prophylaxis in other rural areas - but the need for it is debated. Whether you need prophylaxis depends on where and when you go and what you do (sleeping out in the woods during the rainy season for 3 weeks? or just passing through in an a/c bus?)

Malarone is a new (and expensive) alternative to doxy, not available in Thailand (this might change).

Get professional advice! Your prophylaxis depends on your travel plans and on your medical history.

Archived