Napa Soi 26 Owner / Chef Dies

The_Munchmaster

William Schillinger the proprietor and chef at Napa on Suk Soi 26 died earlier this week! :rip:

He was Swiss and I quess in his mid 40's.

I didn't post this in the global RIP because he was not just some famous person but someone who lived and worked in Bangkok and who I had met and spoken to only last week!

Last Tuesday I was invited by a friend and his Thai wife for dinner at Napa on Soi 26. It was a special monthly dinner with a set menu and a different wine for each dish and the wine provider (Honig Wine, CA) was there to talk about each wine.

It was all very good and William, who I had met once before, went around all the tables talking to everyone, even pointing out to me that he had noticed that I had removed the tofu from the "Chinese BBQ pork resotto with tofu and edible flowers" without even tasting it (what is the point of tofu, fecking horrible stuff).

Then yesterday my friend, who did the interior design for the restaurant and knew William very well, tells me that he was found dead in his apartment a couple of days earlier! :(

Quote from todays Stickman column:

"Napa on 26 is ranked numero uno out of the more than 1,500 restaurants that Trip Advisor lists for Bangkok. Sadly however, Napa on 26 might not retain their #1 placement for much longer after William, the owner and the man behind the highly regarded restaurant, passed away on Tuesday night after suffering a heart attack. He was just 48 years old. William hailed from Switzerland and had been chef in some high-end hotels before breaking away to do his own thing, a venture which brought him much satisfaction. His departure represents a genuine loss to Bangkok's dining scene."

Archived