China To Allow 3-Day 'visa Free' Stays In Beijing

gobbledonk

http://www.news.com....0-1226531613218

Doesnt particularly do much for me, but for those who need to fly in and out on their way to somewhere else, it may be a blessing. Not sure how their Secret Police feel about journos and other potential rabble rousers being allowed to wander around for 24 hours with no official contact beyond a stamp in their passports, but clearly the tourist income makes it worth their while.

CHINA will allow most foreign visitors to stay in Beijing for three days without a visa if they are heading on to another country, a policy meant to boost tourism and smooth the way for transiting passengers and business travellers.

The China Daily newspaper said the new rules would take effect from January 1 and apply to visitors from 45 countries, including Australia, Japan, Singapore, the United States, France, Germany and Argentina.

The report says travellers must have a ticket to a third country to qualify, and are forbidden to leave Beijing.

It says they also must register with police within 24 hours of arrival.

The official Xinhua News Agency says Beijing receives around five million foreign visitors per year.

Read more: http://www.news.com....8#ixzz2EJN2Nj5t

I had to jump thru 997 hoops to get a China visa...and is only for 17 days! WTF!!!

Had to show/copies; bank book, work permit, invitation letter and then the usual (pictures/forms)...at a cost of nearly 8000 Baht!

(had to get the visa, same day, so extra costs).

Three day visa in Beijing, no thank you!!!

If you don't live in Bangkok or can't be arsed getting a visa there, Macau is a really handy hassle free spot to obtain a Chinese tourist visa from several China Tourist Offices. You fly into Macau visa free for most (cheap Air Asia) and can get same day China visa service if you want. Macau is a beautiful laid back place to hang around waiting a couple of days for the less speedy and cheaper visa, then take a local bus the 3kms to the Chinese border. Then downtown Guangzhou just 1.5 hour VIP bus ride away every 20 mins.

:beer:

If you don't live in Bangkok or can't be arsed getting a visa there, Macau is a really handy hassle free spot to obtain a Chinese tourist visa from several China Tourist Offices. You fly into Macau visa free for most (cheap Air Asia) and can get same day China visa service if you want. Macau is a beautiful laid back place to hang around waiting a couple of days for the less speedy and cheaper visa, then take a local bus the 3kms to the Chinese border. Then downtown Guangzhou just 1.5 hour VIP bus ride away every 20 mins.

:beer:

I guess it depends where you are coming from. When I went to China a few years ago I just needed an letter of invitation and a passport.

I had to jump thru 997 hoops to get a China visa...and is only for 17 days! WTF!!!

Had to show/copies; bank book, work permit, invitation letter and then the usual (pictures/forms)...at a cost of nearly 8000 Baht!

I guess China feard that you would overstay as an illegal immigrant..

...selling gallons of silver water in the streets. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

he purpose

Don't know what kind of visa you applied for, but if it was a tourist visa all that paperwork is not needed.

In my case I apply for an annual multiple entry visa and answer "visiting" as the purpose of my entries.

The minute you mention work, business or anything but "visiting" you will be asked for letters, invitations and copies of everything they can think of.

This was taught to me by someone at their BKK embassy years ago and have been following his advise since.

The less they know the better.

Archived