The Farang Yum Woonsen Vendor Of Bangkok

Boo Radley

Well "waerth":

Perhaps we wonder about it because we have jumped thru the proverbial hoops the country has in place so we can "legally" work here.

Well we differ of opinion on that. If someone does not have to jump through all of the hoops I will say good on them. I really consider it none of my business as to someone else's visa status. I consider it a personal thing.

If I had to guess, I'd bet dollars to durian he doesn't have a Thai company, doesn't employ the requisite number of Thais to garner a work permit and probably doesn't pay Thai income tax. I'm not sayin' he ain't paying the เทศà¸à¸´à¸ˆ and or the Police money to have the stand there, or that he ain't makin' a living. I'm sayin' I highly doubt he's 'legal' to work.

I am pretty much a 100% sure he doesn't have a workpermit and a chance he might even be on overstay. I have at least 10 people in my database that have been overstay for more than 5 years. If they choose to go down that road that is up to them really I only tell them keep me updated so in sign of trouble I can tell them to leave a set.

The most hilarious part is that some production companies make work permits for the people, which is actually a legal requirement for every production shot in Thailand (but only 2 companies comply). Basically this is a piece of paper on which they have to fill in all people's names and their passport numbers. Regularly I have had a couple of guys whom filled in their details including their passport numbers (empty passports without stamps) whom were overstay and no one ever came back to me on that. They even fly around within Thailand on planes, booked for them by a production company sending them to a shoot. ID-ing themselves at the airport with their passports (without Thai visa) and sleep in Hotels (which are required to report you!) and no one seems to give a flying fuck.

I just went to Ho Chi Minh city and the hotel actually kept my passport for an hour because they needed to register it at the local police station :p

His thai is pretty ruff-stuff. .. especially after that long in country and with a thai significant other too.

Although personally I look down on the people whom come here and do not learn the language; it is again a case of their choice. Most older people and especially English, French and Russian native speakers (no offense meant just establishment of fact) do not speak Thai at all even if they have been here longer than I have. Younger people usually DO learn Thai though.

Just 2 days ago shooting in Ho Chi Minh City there was this half French/half Vietnamese man whose son (5 years old grown up only in Vietnam) was shooting in the commercial. His son could only speak French, he did not see the need to teach his son Vietnamese, even though they life there! (his wife is Vietnamese) He himself only speaks French and a little bit of English also no Vietnamese at all. I personally am horrified by people doing this. Hell in 3 days I learned close to 50 Vietnamese words!

That guy in the video sucks up and lavishes the praises on this place and these people so much I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be who control the area look the other way. Thais LOVE a foreigner who sucks up to them. Plus given the highly regimented class driven workings of Thai society he's looked down on by almost everyone (whether he makes money hand over fist or not).

Well if you have lived here long enough you know that a large part you need to suck up to Thais a little bit to avoid them blowing up because you insult them. Sucking up is not something I am good in, so I have insulted a fair amount of Thais, including a deputy prime minister once when we played comedy. Luckily there were to many other people around for him to blow up. But if looks could kill ....

W

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived