The Farang Yum Woonsen Vendor Of Bangkok

Boo Radley

Mekong - I had a little stall on Silom about 5 years ago - well, better to say I funded a stall. It was only THB 3,000 per month to the Mangda's. Has it really gone up to 10k per month now?

Yes, 10,000 / Month but now it has been legalised. Licenses are obtained via Bang Rak City Hall and monthly rent is paid direct to City Hall. There is no more extortion for extra money and to be honest the BiB do a good job of checking that vendors do have the applicable licences and that their monthly payments are up to date.

I can only say that I am aware that this exists on the East Side of Silom (Soi Convent Side) from Dusit Thani Hotel down to BKK Bank head office where the stall(s) I finance are located, I don't know about the opposite side of Silom or anywhere else for that matter since I have no involvement in any other areas.

Silom between 5-9PM is a definite "Hot Spot" to have a stall, so many offices and so much foot traffic, many office workers prefer to have dinner after work and do a bit of window shopping then head home later in the evening rather than commute during the main rush hours.

As you are well aware any agreement such as this has to be based on trust, even though I have a Work Permit Market Trading is still a restricted profession a foreigner is not even allowed to finance a stall and have Thai's working for them by law so there are no contracts involved and even if there were I would be a fool if the Stallholders did not pay me and I reported it since it would be me who would loose W.P. and end up in IDC before deportation, fortunately I have good stallholders who so far not betrayed the trust.

I don't make great money out of it but it covers my monthly apartment rent and all utilities bills (Eleccy, Landline / Internet, UBC, Mobile Service Provider, water etc) plus a few Baht in my pocket but I have already recouped my initial investment and am now making a few Baht on the side.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You really need to be here to learn the language. (Same goes for other countries and their language.) I studied Thai in Thailand and could actually use it. That makes a world of difference. Even after a couple of weeks we knew enough to feed ourselves and get around. We had to - nobody would do it for us.

p.s. Don't bother with reading Thai until you have a vocabulary of at least 1,000 words. Otherwise the Thai alphabet just slows you down.

• 7 months later...

Archived