The Fiscal Cliff...

gobbledonk

There will always be a career for creative accountants and lawyers - if folk on over 400K cant find the cash to pay those guys, then they will just have to come up with the extra tax. My understanding is that a lot of what Obama has done is merely unravelling years of tax breaks given to the rich by Bush and his cronies.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That idiot Eric Kantor says he doesn't support the bill passed by the Senate. Late last night, I sent an email to my Representative, Republican Kevin Yoder. He's only been in office for 2 years but is already infamously known for going to Egypt on a fact finding tour, and jumping off a boat in the Red Sea naked (while being watched by others, including families that were on the boat). I told him it would be a cold day in hell before I voted for any current Republican Congress person for any political office. As he was not opposed in the last election, I doubt if this will put a scare into him.

Here is the response that I got from my Congressman. What are the odds that he actually read my email?

January 4, 2013

Dear Dean,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about the "fiscal cliff." I appreciate your input. Like you, I believe Congress cannot continue t o kick the can down the road. I wholeheartedly believe we must work together to find a solution that gets our economy growing again. It is an honor to serve the people of Kansas in the United States Congress and your communication is a vital part of our legislative process.

As your Congressman, I am committed t o finding long-te rm solutions to our nation's financial troubles and I agree with you that compromise and open ears are needed for good government. Unfortunately, H.R. 8 increased our national debt by another $3.9 Trillion which is soon to be followed by demands for another raise of the debt ceiling. This bill also increased the payroll/social security tax on all wage earners and increased the estate (death) tax. I could not in good conscience, vote to raise taxes on the middle class at a time like this.

As a member of the House Appropriations Committee, I understand we can't tax and spend our way out of our current fiscal situation, but that compromise was needed . I did not believe this bill was the solution . I am one of the few Republicans who did not sign the Grover Norquist " No Tax Pledge " because m y most important pledge is to defend the Constitution and represent my constituents and I simply could not support a bill that raises taxes withoutcutting spending or solving the debt crisis. We need long-term, balanced solutions if we are ever going to stop the legacy of debt that will pass along to our children and grandchildren. American families and small businesses need certainty in the market in order to grow and invest.

My staff and I are dedicated to providing outstanding services to the constituents of our district. One of the ways we do this is by providing constant updates on my work in Kansas and in Washington through social media. To stay connected and follow every vote that I take in Congress please "Like" my page on Facebook (www.facebook.com/congressmankevinyoder ), follow me on Twitter ( www.twitter.com/repkevinyoder ), and visit my website ( www.yoder.house.gov ) to sign up for my weekly e-newsletter.

Again, I want to thank you for contacting me and sharing your thoughts. Please don't hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of service.

Sincerely,

KYSig.jpg

Kevin Yoder

Member of Congress

Look at the upside - if you pay your taxes in Thailand, you are effectively funding politicians that you can never influence in any way. shape or form. I don't know how many expats vote in US elections, but at least you have that option. Personally, when I leave Oz I hope never to see another Australian politician on my TV .....

"I am embarrassed for our representatives in Washington — all 535 of them.

The fiscal cliff bill was one of the ugliest ever presented, based upon the premise of getting some revenue and staving off various tax rates that would expire on Dec. 31. In fact, what this bill did was to hide billions in pork. What the tax breaks give away is greater than the proposed revenue from taxing the top 2 percent.

I am amazed that these 535 decided to provide NASCAR $78 million for race tracks controlled by the owners of Michigan International Speedway. They exceeded their best efforts when they appropriated $222 million for distillers and $62 million for companies in American Samoa. Indian reservations got $222 million for accelerated depreciation. The biggie is the $430 million for the movie industry. Didn’t “Skyfall†just gross $1 billion?

Tax reform includes even more tax giveaways to lawmakers’ buddies, distorts the tax code and places us all further in debt. What a gift to the U.S. taxpayer. At least they passed on their pay raise. They should all get a pay cut for non-performance. I wait with bated breath for the debt limit bills. What will they give away then?"

LINK

There was a story on the tele a few years back.

Counterfeit money showing up all over the greater LA area.

Took a couple years to catch the guy.

He was real sneaky. Like old Ben Layden. Couriers then more couriers then more couriers who did not know each other. In other words could not trace easily back to original guy.

Part of his genius was the paper. Can't get gov-mint paper.

He found a similiar paper at a wholesaler for all types of magazine/newspapers. He purchased big rolls of this paper.

Then he just used a good color printer. Off the shelf printer.

One guy in a small condo in the LA area.

They did eventually catch him by the same method they got old Ben Layden. Following each courier.

I recall that he "sold" the money at an large discount.

Thats always the main drawback with counterfeits - how to get rid of large volumes of cash without arousing suspicion.Several years ago there was an outbreak of forged £20 notes here,the rumour was you could buy them for £2 each if you knew the right person :nono: They were quite poor though and stood out a mile when compared to the genuine article.

"I am embarrassed for our representatives in Washington — all 535 of them.

The fiscal cliff bill was one of the ugliest ever presented, based upon the premise of getting some revenue and staving off various tax rates that would expire on Dec. 31. In fact, what this bill did was to hide billions in pork. What the tax breaks give away is greater than the proposed revenue from taxing the top 2 percent.

I am amazed that these 535 decided to provide NASCAR $78 million for race tracks controlled by the owners of Michigan International Speedway. They exceeded their best efforts when they appropriated $222 million for distillers and $62 million for companies in American Samoa. Indian reservations got $222 million for accelerated depreciation. The biggie is the $430 million for the movie industry. Didn’t “Skyfall†just gross $1 billion?

Tax reform includes even more tax giveaways to lawmakers’ buddies, distorts the tax code and places us all further in debt. What a gift to the U.S. taxpayer. At least they passed on their pay raise. They should all get a pay cut for non-performance. I wait with bated breath for the debt limit bills. What will they give away then?"

LINK

Like Detroit and Wall St banks, I guess those vested interests listed above are 'too big to fail' ......

Obama had the banks and the auto industry right where he (or rather the American people) needed them - with their balls in a vice - and he let them off with a slap on the wrist, The whole 'power of industry lobbies' deal in Washington stinks to high heaven, but I'd be deluded if I didnt think it happens here. Politicians are all about self-interest, and the public has very short memories come re-election time. I guess we get the government we deserve - Jack and Bobby Kennedy found out what happens when you piss off the wrong people. :(

Archived