Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

dean

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of Puerto Ricans in the US military. Gets them off the island, teaches them a trade, and many stay in for retirement. Puerto Ricans were not subject to the draft during the VN War, but many volunteered. I'm not sure of Puerto Ricans ever were drafted by the US. I was surprised to meet a guy from the Domican Republic in the US Army - a warrant officer married to a cute half-Thai gal. As I understood it, he came to the US legal, enlisted on a Green Card, and used that to get his US citizenship.

Good guys ... I like them. Served with a couple in RVN. They all study English in school, but are almost never fluent in it until they leave the island. I asked one of my students at the NCO Academy how good his English had been when he enlisted. He replied, "Not so good. I had a lot of trouble in Basic Training understanding my drill sergeant. 'Yes? No?' I had to do a lot of push ups. I got real strong." ;)

Yup, a lot of Filipino-Americans in California. One was an Army buddy in RVN, took his R&R in Manila and visited his grandparents.

Craziest thing I heard of was a Thai university student who got drafted because he had a Green Card. A Green Card meant you could be called up, but you didn't have to go into a combat zone unless you agreed. He didn't know that, served in the infantry in RVN, and got wounded (slightly). After that, all of the Thai students were afraid to get a Green Card!

The Thai GI took his R&R in Bangkok, where else? :)

There was a Mexican immigrant in my BCT company at Fort Ord who was drafted on a Green Card. He claimed his right not to go to war and got stationed in the US. I remember the Mexican-Americans in my company were quite pissed off at him. One said to me, "He wants to live in my country, but he won't fight for it. He should go back to Mexico."

• 6 months later...

Just an update on my step son. I had made a deal with the assistant DA to have the domestic violence charge dropped when the step son finished 10 anger management classes. That was done 3weeks ago. Yesterday, I saw a letter addresses to him from the Kansas City Missouri Municipal Court. He has a preliminary hearing on January 27 over a shop lifting charge. It seems that he took a hot gel packet from Walmart. It's going to be a fairly expensive packet before this episode is over. I had a talk with him over concentrating on passing the test for admission to either the Army or National Guard. It would also be a good idea to see considerably less of his "friends." He could also take another option and go back to Thailand before January 27, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that.

Archived