Two Out Of Three Ain't Bad

dean

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Who says they are educated? :devil:

Wasn't there a big stink a while back about how many of these guys bought their degrees?

Sanuk!

The 1997 Constitution required that one must have a bachelor degree or higher to be a Member of Parliament. This is carried over in the present Constitution. The idea was that better qualified people would be brought into Parliament.

What actually happened was that all sorts of politicians enrolled anywhere that would have them and soon received degrees without ever having to attend class or take exams. Think of such brilliant scholars as Dr. Chalerm, the ex-policeman, and others with "advanced degrees". Or Yingluck with her MA from the USA despite barely being able to speak English, and Dr. Thaksin with his PhD from prestigious Sam Houston State University despite his fractured English. Yet politicians with genuine educations - e.g. Abhisit and Korn - are frowned upon by many Thais because they studied at English universities known the world over.

My step son is kicking it in (at least for him) to try to pull his grades up to a "D" to graduate. He needs a 60% or higher, and he now has a 57, 48 and 48. One of the 48 grades was a 20 3 weeks ago, so his teachers are bending over backwards, letting him make up assignments that were due months ago. The bad news is he has until May 16, graduation day, to get his grades up. Its not that big of a deal with me for him to graduate this semester. However, I won't go through what he has put me through this year any more. If he doesn't graduate, he receives no help from me in finishing the 1-3 classes that he would need to get his diploma. Thanks for the suggestion on Job Corps. If the Army or National Guard falls through, I'll go to other options. I may request that the Court order drug testing sooner than later. The main thing is I have to get him away from his "friends," even if that means bribing him to go back to Thailand for 6 months to a year. If he does graduate, I expect a rather lengthily party to go on and probably not see him for a week, so I might request the drug testing before and after May 16.

I think there is an age where bringing a kid from such a warped background as Thailand can work but for many young males, that time has already passed when mama gets a life chance to escape to a decent country with a new beau.

My gut feeling is that post age 6 or 7 you are largely stuffed and if you get into the teenage years then forget it. I've seen many fail both in LOS and outside and not for the want of parental support.

• 2 weeks later...

After one week of intensively doing past homework assignments, and 2 weeks of half assed studying for finals, my step son ended up passing (barely) three of the four courses he needed to graduate. The other course, Government, he had a 57% after the final exam (he needed a 60% to pass). I got a conference call this Thursday morning (tests were Mon-Wed) at 8 from his counselor and vice principal (in charge of disciplinary affairs), saying Ming could come in this morning and finish as much homework for the Government class as he could be 11 (the absolute cut off date for graduation) and see if he could pull his grade up to a 60% I got a call at noon, saying it had been determined that he would get at least a 60% for the class, so he will receive his diploma this Saturday night. I really don't want to go to the ceremony (because he was a pain for 4.5 years of high school) but, as my wife and 5 year old son go to Thailand a week from Wednesday, I don't want to piss her off and give her an excuse to not come back to the U.S. in August. Next comes either the Army National Guard or (my choice) the regular Army (and a deployment far from Kansas).

Good luck on the Army. I saw a piece earlier today that says they're being a lot more picky on recruits than they were a few years ago. You may have to settle for Army National Guard. (However, the odds are just as good that he'll be deployed as if he was in the Regular Army. (Sign on a jeep in Iraq a few years ago "One weekend a month and two weeks a year MY ASS!")

• 2 weeks later...

The US military cut way back in the 1980s and '90s. What the Army did was transfer many "occupation specialties" to the reserves and NGs. Thus, the reserve and NG now get called up almost immediately in time of conflict, the way it was before the VN War, when very few reserve or guard units were used.

Archived