Bangkok Traffic

cavanami

Just look where all the white spray paint markings are...near the U-turns!

This Songkran, the Thai gov was smart enough to close off 90% of the U-turns, at least

from what I saw heading up to Khon Kaen.

This lasted a few days and then the locals started to remove the blockades...TIT

Of course, this year the accidents were UP during Songkran...no wonder...more cars on the

road with more inexperienced drivers, like, dahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, who would even guess :surprised::shocked::dunno:

I've long thought that the true root cause of much of the Bangkok traffic problem, and by extension the ludicrous holiday period death toll, is the complete lack of understanding that a country the size of Thailand needs a sound nationwide infrastructure together with a set of policies that encourage business NOT to use the city. By incentivising companies to move away from the city and out to the provinces will take their workers with them. Jobs will be where the people are and no need to travel (as far), so less city traffic and less holiday traffic as well. Whilst such a course of action would take 20 years to begin to work I see no evidence that such thinking is even considered so I presume the plan is to add all of Thailands economic growth into the already overflowing pot that is Bangkok.

Thai companies have the bizarre notion that it is better to build factories in or near Bangkok, then bring the workers to them. Why not put the factories where the workers already are? Whenever I mention that to Thais, they shake their heads and say it won't work. FFS why not?

Here is what Bangkok and the suburbs looked like about the time I came here. (No idea where that big army supply area is or was.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63kcEe0szN4

We have our office just outside Bangkok, the west side on the river, in Samut Sakhon and we have a hell of a time getting

qualified people! The people living in Bangkok, forget it, they will not relocate!!

The people in or around Samut Sakhon, 99.9% unqualified, so there you have it.

You are forced to work/have an office in Bangkok.

As far as the traffic...why no Drivers' Education in the schools??? like they do in the USA and other countries.

Would be nice if 1% of the Thai drivers understood the concept of "right of way"....

Decentralisation has been preached from on high in Oz for decades, and - with few exceptions - it simply hasnt happened. Even the companies with factories/warehouses out in the boonies inevitably have head offices in the CBD - its all part of the corporate circle jerk. Banks are among the worst offenders - endlessly closing suburban and rural branches only to move their Head Office shiny bums into increasingly prestigious skyscrapers. I was surprised to read that the Twin Towers were in a less salubrious part of Manhattan given the prime positions occupied by our banking and finance giants, all jockeying for a view of the harbour / river / bay - much the same view as that enjoyed by many of the same politicians who were preaching decentralisation back in the 80s ....

Archived