One Place I'd Rather Be In May ...

gobbledonk

Nice one, baa99. Get to the end of the video and you'll see a whole lot more of the listings. Among them is one, 'Singapore the Lion City - 1957'. That is the Singapore I remember as a kid.

....but I cant say I'm overly surprised if Singapore has been mostly bulldozed in the mad rush to become a 'first world' city.

Gobbie..

What little that would have been left over (esp Orchard Road) would have been acquired by the Authorities, 'preserved' (as in modernised) and then re-rented at exorbitant rates to establishments that push pseudo-nonya food. The rest bulldozed for multi-storey housing.

Pardon my reluctance to return 'home'.

VK

• 2 weeks later...

There are parts of old Bangkok left, the Rattankosin Island the best known (the original city with the walls and moat), and the Thonburi side of the city has been spared for the most part. But my taxi driver yesterday drove me to my old neighbourhood down a street that has hardly changed in 40 years. It is in a military area, so almost no new construction has gone on. Tall trees line the street and very few buildings are taller than 3 or 4 storeys. The klongs still look clean enough that fish might yet live in them. Nevertheless, many parts of Bangkok look nothing like they did even 20 years ago. I often have no idea where I am in the downtown business areas. I have to hunt around to find a familiar landmark.

Chiangmai is far nicer than Bangkok, but even there I am lost if I am outside of the city moat. The city must be 4 times the size it was when I came here. My Mrs lived in a house outside the city. Now it has been completely swallowed up and she has bought herself a new house in the foothills.

Archived