Obese South African 'too Fat' For New Zealand

gobbledonk

I am in favour of the stance taken by NZ government, why should the health care system be expected to pick up the bill on an immigrant?

Because it does for anyone who's not white and male.

There are legions of female homosexuals from Glasgow and California in the government departments, most very large. There are also great numbers of Pacific Islanders who arrive in NZ a week before their due date to give birth, most very huge.

And I'll fight for the right for people such as these to come to NZ, we are after all a tolerant people...

My issue is, why not white males?

coss, is there no small irony in the fact that the Maori fought for centuries to keep Islanders out of NZ, and now you let them in with a smile and a wave ? I'm sorry, but they just haven't been a success story here in Oz - contact sports notwithstanding - and are over-represented in our prison system. Most of the Maoris I've met, by contrast, are pretty cool people (unless you upset them, but I dont go around prodding bears !)

OK - it appears the Maori spent more time waging war on one another - sometimes with armies numbering in the thousands (!) - than they did on their Pacific neighbours. That said, do you think they would have welcomed northern visitors with open arms ? The unfortunate saga of the Chatham Island Maoris illustrates that you were either predator or prey.

Around 1500 CE a group of MÄori migrated east to the Chatham Islands, where, by adapting to the local climate and the availability of resources, they developed a culture known as the "Moriori" – related to but distinct from MÄori culture in mainland New Zealand. A notable feature of the Moriori culture, an emphasis on pacifism, proved disastrous when a party of invading North Taranaki MÄori arrived in 1835. Few of the estimated Moriori population of 2,000 survived

I've often wondered how I would go carrying a smaller version of one of these around various cities in a bag for self defence : make the wrist strap out of something pink and try to convince the cops that it was a pestle for crushing grain :D

Patu-Maori-Weapon.jpg

Ahhh.. Mere, the greenstone (jade) ones are good also, some weigh up to a kilo...

Apparently the Moriori are still represented in some mixed race blood lines, most think the Moriori were not true Maori, different enough that they had to leave NZ for the Chathams (yes still in NZ, but in those days a very long way away).

Archived