Visa Agencies

We've all heard about those agencies that you give your passport to and they take care of things.

To me they sound very appealing, rather than waste a day and trudge up or down to a neighbouring country to get a visa, you just pay them.

Can anyone tell me how much they cost and how long my passport is away.

In addition I have seen some visa agencies that promise me a 6 month visa for 12500 baht. Again this seems reasonable.

Once you''ve got the visa is it 100% valid, I realise the method of obtaining it is a gray area.

STH

As mentioned in the OTHER thread titled "Visa Agencies," there have been many problems in the past with fake visas being put in by supposedly "reputable" agencies, and then you get popped when you are leaving the country. IMO, this is an incredibly stupid, harebrained thing to do.

I seem to be stating the same thing simultaneously, I apologise, looking in my passport the visa stamp always appears to be a smudged triangle in blue ink, curious how they could know on exitingh the country whether its fake or not.

I can understand the risk associated with the office beingbusted and all the passports being confiscated, but surely one stamp looks like the next.

I know I'm playing devils advocate here but I do think the risk is being over stated.

STH

STH,

"I know I'm playing devils advocate here but I do think the risk is being over stated."

It's deja vu all over again - reminds me of the condom / bb debates. The odds of getting AIDs are low, but if you're one of those who gets it the consequences are severe.

How much risk are you willing to take for the pleasure of avoiding a visa run? And how much are you willing to pay or suffer if a problem develops? Up to you.

Regards, JEff

Correct. I've been referring to the visas put in the passport at the foreign embassy or consulate, not the stamp upon arrival, which is NOT a visa.

Since I renew my visa annually in-country, I've only got one issued from outside, in the U.S., and that was so many years ago that those were stamps, also; I didn't know they were papering them in now, like Nepal and China do, and the U.S. BUT...paper or old-style stamp, there is a serial number with that visa (my old stamped one has one), and if Immigration's computer indicates something amiss concerning your serial number not matching your passport number, you are fucked.

i used S&A visa agency to 'renew' my multi entry tourist visa - ie i had applied for a 60day tourist visa, then extended it to the max for a total of 90days. Previously made the trip myself to poi Phet but couldn't be arsed to do that again.....

you'll find this agency mentioned in Stickman's website and Bangkok Phil's too i think....

http://www.geocities.com/visathai/visathai.htm

they charged 3000B i think, your passport is taken out thru Malaysia past Hat Yai. No problems, so i'd recommend them.

coops

To be honest Jeff I probably would risk taking my passport to one of those agencies. On the grand scheme of things the pitfalls aren't that significant.

The very worst that could happen is a few days imprisonment followed by deportation.

The alternative is tramping up to the Cambodian border very 30 days.

STH

Archived