CS Internet Speed Tricks? *DELETED*

"Would be a fun, nostalgic and pointless poll - what's the slowest modem you ever used. I remember 2400 baud. Yuck. And the modem was the size of a toaster. ;-)"

I don't know how slow my first was, but it was certainly early generation it had two suction cups that cradled the phone receiver, and it (wang terminal) did't have a monitor, but a printer.

"exit" [enter]

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait

"brzzzzzt brzzzzzzt brzzzt kecheklunk" (the printer)

"bye"

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try a different computer from the same loction that should tell you if yours is mucked up. We have W98 and W2K at home along with an ever changing pool of Linux boxen. Linux always does TCP/IP faster than W98 in my experiance with fewer aborted logins and hang ups (I haven't had enough time with W2K yet).

You might want to ask the provider how many 56K modems they have at those pools. If the have one card with four 56K modems and then stacks and stacks of 33.6 Sportsters they are cutting corners.

I think that win98 had a MaxMTU setting that can be changed in the system registry. If you're familiar with editing the registry then you can try changing it to higher values.

Also, easier to do is to change the com port speed setting to higher values.

"I think that win98 had a MaxMTU setting that can be changed in the system registry. If you're familiar with editing the registry then you can try changing it to higher values."

Isn't this what the send/receive buffer settings in the advanced modem settings control panel? If that is the case better to do it there than to edit the registry.

In any even if I understand the PPP FAQ correctly a slower connection warrants lower MTU values. Higher values could work against you if you are re-requesting dropped and incomplete transmission because of slow speed. The speed reduction for lower MTU setting is nominal because the header is quite small.

Its usually safe to set the serial port to 115k, but on older hardware the wisdom was one setting above the device speed.

Try to get in touch with CS and ask their recommendation.

I work(ed) for an business group with ISP's and common practice was to optimize several modem brand's windows drivers with the preferred settings for the specific combination (PC mode brand + ISP's modem bank brand + Country's telephone systems). Any respectable professional ISP will do this, because optimalisation of client connections is also in their best interest to bring down the subscriber-modem usage ratio.

But then,"Respectable professional", gives already 3 reasons why this may not be the case in Thailand!

"Which would make 115K the correct setting on a system capable of 56K modem connections, yes?"

Yes 115K should be fine but lowering it to 57 and 38 is one more thing to play with.

Of course with too many variables to check modem drivers, modem inits, MTU, and serial port speed, it would probably be easier to invite a friend with a laptop (and a different ISP) over for a few beers. Try out his laptop on your wall jack. Try his ISP on your computer and your ISP on his computer. That should give you allow you to pinpoint the problem with a minimum of settings adjustments, establishing and removing a new dial up account on each computer and then removing them.

My guess is that there only a few 56K modems in each modem pool, and your not getting to them.

AD

It sounds like a slight protocol incompatibility exists between your modem and the brand CS is using. If you have access to other modems or PC's to test with, dial up with them and see if they get a higher speed.

In Bangkok, I've used LoxInfo, Inet, and KSC and all connect at around 50K. The ping is pretty horrid on all of them. Of the 3, KSC is markedly worse in all respects (busy signals, gateway timeouts, delay to connect, ping). The other 2 seem to be of the same quality with Inet being cheaper--I've found their 165 hour package for about 800 baht.

Archived