People Power Gets Stronger

Flashermac

Majority Thais hail House dissolution: Poll

The majority of Thais supported Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's decision to dissolve the House and call for the national election on February 2, according to Dusit Poll.

Of 1,094 respondents in the survey conducted during December 9-10, 78.13 per cent agreed with this resolution, saying that it would ease political tension and return the power to the people.

Only 9.37 per cent opposed the decision, saying that the Yingluck government was elected. They viewed that the Thai political condition would remain the same after the House dissolution.

The remaining 12.50 per cent said the House dissolution would not solve anything, as demonstrations continue.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Majority-Thais-hail-House-dissolution-Poll-30221789.html

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suthep reportedly meets top brass

Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary general of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), reportedly had a secret meeting with military top brass Tuesday afternoon, Thai Rath online reported Tuesday.

The online report said the that Army Chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha sent a car to take to a military base, was still unconfirmed.

When asked by reporters about the meeting, Suthep just smiled. :hmmm:

At the meeting, former Defence Minister General Pravit Wongsuwan and former Commander in

Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda were also present

The meeting took place before Suthep made his daily speech today. The report also quoted its high-ranking source as saying that the meeting seemed to be not possible as the ongoing conflicts are between Suthep and caretaker premier, so they themselves should settle them.

http://www.nationmul...s-30221814.html

This is why this bitch has to go. NO empathy at all. Just moments after her "heated" speech she walks of the stage and then gets caught on camera while she turns around and gives a big big smile showing that she knows that she has just abused her femininity!

Piriyathep K â€@PKinbangkok 4h

A resilient smile, of course "@CMDThai: See what Yingluck does moments after crying for the public #ThaiUprising https://www.youtube....v=WMeXEFriO_4 …"

Although I agree that the Sinawatra clan has used up their welcome in Thai politics, what's the alternative? The right wing, reactionary and very non democratic troupe that Suthep is representing?

Both sides urged to propose reforms, talk

BOTH SIDES of politics should propose reform formats - and talk to one other - if there is no election within the legal time-frame of 60 days, a seminar on the crisis was told yesterday.

Ekkachai Sriwilas, a senior official at King Prajadhipok's Institute, said proposals on reform

should be presented to the public in the meantime, and a deal made between Yingluck Shinawatra's caretaker government and the "people's revolution" movement led by Suthep Thaugsuban, under which the next government must adopt an approved format.

He said Suthep’s call for Yingluck and the caretaker cabinet to quit was practical, but warned that a future decision by the National Anti-Corruption Commission to impeach coalition MPs over their roles in the constitutional amendment over changes to Senate elections could lead to a civil war. He did not elaborate on this.

Independent academic Amorn Wanichwiwat said he did not mind Suthep's call for a People’s Council but said it should be established with mutual consent by all sides and the public.

He said a general election should be held with both sides proposing their reform format as a key policy.

Another independent academic, Weeraphat Pariyawong, criticised the stance of the People's Democratic Reform Committee for constantly pressuring the Yingluck government. He said the Democrat Party, who joined the PDRC, should take part in the election on February 2.

In other news, intellectual Thirayuth Boonmee voiced support yesterday for the anti-government movement, saying it had done a good job exercising the people's power against state authorities and scrutinising government corruption.

He said the unprecedented show of public force via massive rallies and marches was a realisation of the public's lawful rights, and he wished the PDRC success. Thirayuth also cautioned the group over rushed efforts to win acceptance for its reform measures such as a people's council and national government, saying that would only drive away the neutral mass and sceptics.

The PDRC should also show political will and propose practical measures such as moves to fight graft, and its stance on political and economic agendas and the decentralisation of administrative powers.

People from grass-root levels and community intellectuals should also be invited to take part in any PDRC-driven reform, to prevent criticism against elitism, he said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Both-sides-urged-to-propose-reforms-talk-30221799.html

A letter to the well-heeled protesters of Bangkok

Did you take part in the fierce argument over whether five million of you folks or a mere 150,000 showed up at the anti-government rally on Monday? I thought it showed insecurity over whether you represent the real majority voice in Thailand.

Your supreme protest leader, Suthep Thaugsuban, left no room for doubt when he addressed the crowd on Monday, saying he would soon deliver an announcement, "on behalf of all the Thai people".

Wow, I don't recall giving my consent to Suthep (or anyone else) to speak on my behalf. And you know deep down that millions of others hadn't done so, either. The truth is, no one can ever claim to be speaking on behalf of all Thais.

Whether you numbered five million or a mere fraction, you mostly-Bangkokian middle class protesters should be mindful that you are not the majority of the people, and that Bangkok is just one part of Thailand. I know how frustrating it is for you to watch helplessly as the party of your choice keeps losing elections, leaving your favourite Oxbridge- and Ivy League-educated candidates unable to govern the country. Instead you have to settle for what you see as a corrupt and vulgar regime under Yingluck Shinawatra, with her brother Thaksin running the show via his numerous smartphones -and simply because the majority of poor and less-educated Thais keep voting for them.

I know you see Thaksin and his sister as bad, corrupt, abusive, blah, blah, blah. And to a certain extent I agree: the siblings can be arrogant, abusive and unrepentant. Look at the way they tried to sneak a blanket-amnesty bill through Parliament at 4am that would have absolved Thaksin but trampled justice for the families of red shirts who died in protests. It took some nerve.

I know that you middle class and well-heeled Bangkokians are used to snapping your fingers and having your maids, drivers, waitresses and even sex workers jump to satisfy you. It must be such a pain to see these people turning the tables and dictating the course of Thai politics.

After all, they are not "educated", and many don't even pay taxes. Some of you say these "red-shirt buffaloes" are too stupid to be allowed to vote - a privilege that should only go to college-educated Thais or the middle class.

But this is not the way to go. We - and I say "we" because I come from a similar background to you - cannot go on trying to maintain minority rule. This effort is almost apartheid-like, if you know what I mean. The poor and less-educated Thais in rural areas and in Bangkok want their political opinions counted as well. A lorry with 10 wheels cannot move forward with just one wheel dictating the speed. And so it is with Thailand.

You should try harder to convince them through civil dialogue, rather than engaging in bouts of expletive-loaded hate speech and showing open indifference to loss of life of among protesters who don't share your political opinions. We need to give a space for our fragile and young democracy to grow and mature. And that means employing legitimate democratic means in opposing Thaksin and Yingluck - no military coup and no mob rule, please.

We have to learn to co-exist with others. And this cannot be done peacefully if you think that your views are the only ones that count.

To begin with, kindly tell your leaders to stop claiming to be speaking for all Thais. Let's call a halt to this ridiculous posturing.

Yours,

Pravit Rojanaphruk.

The Nation

Finding a way out of the box

It is time for the nation to draw a collective deep breath, and stop for a moment to consider where we all stand. For more than a month, people across the country have stated and shown their political opinions. Monday's climactic rally, centred in Bangkok but echoed in many places, showed decisively the desire and the need for change. Clearly, the message was aimed across the board. The public, quite rightly, is tired of politics.

Bangkok Post

Although I agree that the Sinawatra clan has used up their welcome in Thai politics, what's the alternative? The right wing, reactionary and very non democratic troupe that Suthep is representing?

"Right wing, reactionary?" I think maybe you need to study up on your vocabulary words.

The term "People's Democratic xxx" does not appear in ANY "right wing, reactionary" lexicon I have ever seen in my 50+ years of reading widely. Nor does the word "masses". Both terms appear frequently in left-wing (as in Communist) vocabulary lists. Mr Suthep routinely uses the first. One of his spokesmen, in a recent interview with the Bangkok Post, used the other.

I refer you to the "Playboy" May 1971 interview with the late John Wayne for an on-point anecdote on this precise topic. It can be found on the Web.

Also: You might want to reflect on the most recent development. "In his speech to the protesters, Mr Suthep said since Ms Yingluck had ignored the PDRC's "order", the committee had therefore issued an "additional order" that protesters demonstrate peacefully against Shinawatra family members and cabinet members." (http://www.bangkokpost.com/lite/topstories/384165/suthep-targets-shinawatra-clan) This sounds a whole lot like a threat against the PM and her family, and is not something a "right wing, reactionary" protest movement normally does. Protesting at the office is one thing. Terrorizing the family is a rather different matter.

Archived