Outback Steak House

Sarisin

An article in The Nation today said that another American franchise, the Outback Steak House will be opening soon on the second floor of Siam Discovery. Or, it may already be open.

I'm not sure how a steak place like this might do in Bangkok. Do we really need another one?

Also, I don't like the location that much.

The article said the prime competitors would be Tony Roma's and TGIFridays. I don't think either of these places are doing that well.

I know we recently had a thread here on steak places in Thailand. Now, you can add this one to the lot.

BTW, if it is a carbon copy of the ones in the states where I have dined, you can expect excellent food - but at a fairly high price. I wonder if they will be getting their beef from the US?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was back in the US late last year - in Virginia. The local Outback restaurant there was turning away customers in droves - very popular.

I thought the ads they placed in the local press here for staff were quite amusing.

headed 'G'day mates' and the like and using Australian slang throughout they then went on to state that this new US restaurant would soon be opening in Bangkok. Now if that does not confuse the Thais

hahaha, yeah, the article said it is indeed the American franchise. The franchise owner here is an Indian guy who hopes to have more franchises in Asia, including his home country. It will be interesting to see how a restaurant that focuses on beef dishes will do there. Aren't the McD's in India beef-free?

Anyway, I went to an Outback in NJ my last trip back and the food was excellent, but, as I said, the bill was not cheap. It will be interesting to see the pricing here.

Whats with the hi jacking of "outback" , rest assured us ozzies have never heard of this joint , ok we may have heard of it but there are 0 in Oz .It has been on current affairs type shows here , showing bad exapmles of stereotyped Oz - isms.

Where did all this originate from ?? Some tycoon somewhere I guess. frown.gif

They are 100% American, I have been to a couple in West Virginia (where it is very popular) and Colorado. The beef is good quality and prices very reasonable. I can only assume that by opening in BKK they are looking for a share in the lucrative ex pat or visiting Americans market. Americans only seem to want to eat in places that they have seen in Florida! laugh.gif! It's a joke guys, honest!

Taipan

Stay away from the appatizers. It was recently reported in the American media (NBC news) that the Outback appatizers are the most agregeious in terms of calorie and fat content:

For eg, the Bloomin' Onoin is over 2000 calories and 100 grams of fat. Same deal with the fried cheese sticks. And the grandaddy of all heavyweight appatizers is the side of Outback cheese fries: over 3000 calories and more than 150 grams of FAT - hey, can I get chili on those...

Archived