South Korean Pm Chung Hong-Won Offers Resignation Over Ferry

Flashermac

post-98-0-61799700-1398577154_thumb.jpg

South Korean Prime Minister Chung Hong-won has offered his resignation amid criticism of the government's handling of the sinking of a passenger ferry.

In a statement, a sombre Mr Chung said the "cries of the families of those missing still keep me up at night".

The Sewol ferry with 476 people on board - most of them students and teachers - sank off South Korea on 16 April.

Divers have recovered 183 bodies, but scores are missing presumed drowned.

Furious relatives have repeatedly criticised what they see as the slowness of the recovery operation.

"The right thing for me to do is to take responsibility and resign as a person who is in charge of the cabinet," Mr Chung said in a brief televised statement.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-pacific-27176844

Could you imagine a Thai politician taking responsibility for anything and resigning? A US politician? UK?

Prime Minister Chung Hong-won is a self made man, who has worked hard in his life to get where he is today. Having an accomplished career starting from a teacher, then qualifying in law, becoming a Chief Public Prosecutor, then an Assistant Prosecutor General. A National Election Commissinoner, President of the Korea Legal Aid corporation, and currently Prime Minister of the Republic of Korea.

I know very little about politics, but I do know a man such as Chung Hong-won has served the Korean people well in public service throughout his life with honour and integrity. His integrity is demonstrated again by him taking responsibility for his insubordinates actions and resigning from office in the recent ferry disaster.

What a pity this man has been brought down and fallen on his sword by actions of others, being a man of honour he of course has taken responsibility. The Republic of Korea has lost a good man in Chung Hong-won

As is the way of these things he may well not disappear and could well find himself elevated by his selfless action. After a suitable period of reflection he may well resurface. People who act in this way, unlike those who resign for more 'personal' reasons, and even sometimes those as well, often do.

• Like 1

MPs used to resign in NZ over points of honour, but the internet age has seen that behaviour become scarce.

Though one high profile guy resigned the other day, because he was fed up, with the useless bag of dead dog parts his political party had become.

• 3 weeks later...

<< South Korea plans to break up its coastguard in the wake of the ferry disaster in which more than 300 people died, says President Park Geun-hye.

In a televised address, Ms Park apologised formally for the sinking.

A new safety agency would handle rescue duties, with investigative functions passing to the police, she said.

The Sewol ferry disaster on 16 April killed 286 passengers, most of whom were high school students. Another 18 are still missing.

"The ultimate responsibility of the poor response to this accident lies with me," Ms Park said.

In a televised address, Ms Park apologised formally for the sinking. >>

Hard to imagine that happening in many other countries.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-27465378