China Airlines 747-200 crashes

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the past, bad CRM has been the problem between the Captain and crew.(Military Mindset).

This downer looks like something worse than 'just' a massive mechanical problem.

My condolences to all involved.

In February 2002, Qantas, one of the best safety records holders, has retired it's B747 SP (VH-EAA), after 21 years in service. I was on the very plane last November to Singapore. Also, 10 years ago from Europe. Then, the plane feelt old, tired and was rattling all along the way.

Flying old planes is nothing strange, everybody does that. "United" recently retired their fleet of 727s (more than 30 of them), some of them could have been 25+ yrs old.

Maintenance, competency and discipline, I would guess, that's what it takes in that business.

Sfinkz is right, the plane had been sold to Orient Thai (never heard of them).

just came back from BKK today. For the first time I saw on the tarmac a B747-100 or 200 in the colors of Orient Thai. I have never seen any Orient Thai aircraft before. Does anybody know where they're flying with these old aircrafts?

Taken from mentionned internet site, with misspells:

"Orient Thai Airline has been in operation since June 1995 and make Chiangmai its base of operations. Presently, they fly to Northeast Thailand. A clean, green, secure area with friendly down to earth people who are the charm of this region filled with ancient Khmer ruins. Major cities serviced are: Udon Thani three times per week, Khon Kaen four times per week, and Ubon Ratchathani three times per week.

Or travel down south to the Surat Thani the home of Samui Island, and the southern business capital of Hadyai with Songkhla beach resort. Fly to Surat Thani (Samui) and Had Yai (Songkhla) four times per week from Chiangmai. Often Orient Thai Air has super saving packages."

http://welcome-to.chiangmai-chiangrai.com/airplane.htm

Archived