Mandarin-Language Thai Guides Call On Junta To Crackdown On Illegal Guides

Flashermac

About 200 Mandarin-language Thai guides on Monday submitted a letter calling on the junta to crack down on foreign unlicensed guides who compete with them for work.

The Thai guides, led by Saengthong Prailinwichit who is deputy chairman of the Mandarin Guides Club of Thailand, submitted their demand to junta chief Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha at the Army headquarters. The letter was received by Col Permkiart Juthathet, an Army officer.

Prayuth was told in the letter that foreign unlicensed guides had damaged Thailand's reputation because they provided wrong information to Chinese tourists.

The letter alleged that the problem of unlicensed the Mandarin language guides has been ignored for over 10 years because a political party, which dominated the tourism industry, chose to disregard the problem. The refusal to take notice had caused Thai guides to suffer, the letter said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Mandarin-language-Thai-guides-call-on-junta-to-cra-30235786.html

"foreign unlicensed guides had damaged Thailand's reputation because they provided wrong information to Chinese tourists"

No mention, of course that the foreigners are breaking the law by working in a reserved occupation, where is the mindset of these people?

There is obviously a shortage of legal Mandarin speaking tour guides, which is the cause. It's quite difficult to become a licenced guide. You have to pass a rather tough test on Thai history and geography in the language you are applying for. I've heard my university students complain about their surprise at how difficult the course was. They know Thai history fairly well, but they have to learn the vocabulary in English, plus the names of all the periods and monarchs in English. I imagine learning them in Mandarin is even harder.