My 2nd trip: a Sanuk and living in LOS exploration

Tiger Moth

I am planning on the non-Sanuk part for the end. So, it will be a while. However, I don't think it will be profound.

In brief: I am planning to spend the 1st year studying Thai so that I can have some chance to interact in a meaningful way with Thai people; It seems easy to meet ex-Pats - so, easy to have some social life in that way; I love to exercise and there are great health club facilities in Bangkok and Pattaya. Also, I am a runner and their are clubs in Bangkok and Pattaya that I can join.; I can jump on the internet each morning and read the NY Times, Los Angeles Times, Financial Times and so on - in addition to watching CNN and ESPN if I am feeling home sick.

I grew up around New York City and I love cities - so, Bangkok with crowds and pollution is fine by me.

You get the idea - all in all living in Thailand should be OK if not ideal.

I would enjoy discussing retirement plans further and will send you a PM.

If you could tell me of a European country in which I could afford to live and vacation in Thailand as well, I would have to give that some thought.

But, for the 1st few years of retirement (I will eventually receive 3 pensions from different sources but will start out with one), Thailand is the only place that I am aware of that I could afford to live comfortably - and have Sanuk as a wonderful added bonus.

Three pensions, lucky you! I hardly dare think of what I'll get but not much probably, but I'd like to read you PM.

I'll have to look into the costs of living in another European country. Sweden is expensive, so most other countries would be cheaper, I think. I think I'd like to live in a country like Italy, France or Spain: better climate and people are more sociable etc. As for sanuk, nothing compares with Thailand, not that I know of anyway. But will the scene stay the same? Time will tell.

I have been thinking about this too but I am a very young 48 so I have a few years to go before my final decision. I am thinking about Spain which is still cheaper than Ireland and much better weather, culture, and food. So six months in Spain and six months in Thailand that would be pretty ideal IMO. Sweden and Ireland are not places for retirement certainly but check out Spain or maybe Portugal as the cheapest but not Italy I think that is expensive.

Uniformguy

This is an interesting thread for me, as I'm about three years or so away from retiring early, in my early 50s. I figure I can work another three years without going totally nuts. I can retire with an income of about $4,000 US per month, which isn't a lot in the US, but will be more than enough in Thailand or certain other places. I'm just not sure about living in Thailand year round. I guess I'll just have to try it and find out for myself.

Rex

Rex, I did just exactly what you are talking about last year - although I am back to work now for six months. Same age too. Your money figures should present no problem. Go for it!

Tiger Moth, some great writing here and in the other trip write-ups. And, I ain't just sayin' that because I consider you a good friend.

Your insights and excellent writing have benefitted many on this site - including me.

Thanks.

Archived