Travellers Who Paid Thousands Of Baht For Air Tickets Should Not Negotiate Over A Few Hundred Baht For A Taxi Fare

waerth

I live outside BKK and maybe 50% of the time the taxi wants a flat rate. We come to an agreement. At times, what

is agreed on is too low as I know from when the taxi does use the meter.

I always pay about the same, meter or no meter. I always give a good tip as I know he may well dead head back to the airport.

In the USA it is common to pay 150% of the meter to cover the deadheading back to the airport.

"Taxi's are only obliged to use meters within the boundries of Bangkok, outside it is open to negoatioation,"

Are you sure? Is this reflected in legislation?

Coss it is, taxi fares are set by BMA (Bangkok Metropoletan Administration) and only apply to Bangkok Metro area. Bangkok Metro covers a large area even where Radioman is 40 KM North of CBD is still part of Bangkok

BMA Area http://www.inta-aivn.org/en/activities/exchange/roundtables/metro-in-progress-programme/stories-of-metropolitan-strategies/481-inta/activitities/exchange/roundtables/20122013-inbetween/1681-bangkok-metropolitan-area

For me, one has to go west across the river and then another 10 ~ 15 Kms or so before they are out of BKK...there is a large sign on Rama 2 alerting you that you have left BKK.

I live approx. 80Km west of the airport, well out of the BKK area but I have never had a taxi at the airport refuse to take me.

....however, flagging down a taxi on Suk or Soi 22, I have had hundreds refuse over the past four years!

I live approx. 80Km west of the airport, well out of the BKK area but I have never had a taxi at the airport refuse to take me

Sounds like you live close to the khuad nam pla yai (as I call it) building the one with the giant fish sauce bottle on the roof, there is a an excellent seafood restaurant in that area