How To Find 200 Billion Baht

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or cars ... I'm trying to buy a used one, and the prices are shocking. I looked at a cute little Honda Jazz in reasonably good condition the other day. The price seemed nice in comparison to others for sale ... until I realised it was over US$7,000! For a 10-year-old used car? :surprised:

It's all relative. Running costs are way less in Thailand generally, even the fuel is still cheap compared to many places, certainly EU. Looked at over a 5 year or more period the expensive to buy car comes out a bit cheaper. Yes, still expensive compared to most other places but not as expensive as it seems just on the vehicle purchase price.

FM - but you can also look at it from the other side. I bought a Toyota Vios 7 years ago for 600K. The "E" version. Sold it last month for 250K - so I can understand why used cars are higher here - because they keep their value for a decent time.

My 10 year old Honda Accord was sold last April for 230K - believe it was about 1.2 million when bought in 2005.`

I bought an SLK about 6 and a bit years old some years ago now. It did indeed cost about 3 times the equivalent UK price to buy. It lost substantialy less than it's UK equivalent over the same time frame though and maintenance costs ran about 1/5 the UK price. Petrol is also much cheaper than UK though decent insurance runs about the same. All in all over a 5 year span the SLK cost more than it would have cost in UK but not 3x. Yes it's crazy but if you want to drive a nice car in Thailand you have to pay to join the club. If a pickup is enough then fine, most are more than adequate.