Former Bkk Police Chief 'arrested With Gun' In Japanese Airport

Coss

mmmm..........

14350602381435060426l.jpg

File photo of then-commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang ® speaking to reporters on 1 March 2013.

BANGKOK — The former commander of the Bangkok Metropolitan Police has been detained at an airport in Japan for trying to carry a gun on-board a Bangkok-bound aircraft, a police spokesperson said.

Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang was detained yesterday evening after security officers found a firearm and some ammunition in his carry-on bag at Narita Airport, one of two international airports in Tokyo, said police spokesperson Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth Thawornsiri.

"Right now, we are checking the details," Pol.Lt.Gen. Prawuth told reporters. "Why he was carrying the gun, and whether he carried the gun past a security checkpoint in Thailand, I cannot say. We have to clearly check details first, and then we will coordinate with him to ask how we can assist."

A source at the Royal Thai Police told Matichon that Kamronwit left Thailand on a Thai Airways flight on 18 June and was scheduled to return on a 9:50 pm flight yesterday. According to the source, Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit told Japanese police he owned the gun, but didn't realize he had left it in his carry-on bag.

Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit has long been considered a close ally to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, who was deposed in a military coup in 2006 but still retains considerable influence over a powerful political dynasty. The officer retired from the Royal Thai Police in October 2014, five months after the military staged a coup d'etat against a government led by Thaksin’s sister.

Earlier this month, five Thai students were arrested at an airport in Pakistan for allegedly attempting to carry a handgun, magazine, and ammunition onboard a plane bound for Bangkok. Thai authorities have not released details about the students' possible motive. The five are still being held in Pakistani custody.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1435060238&typecate=06&section=

Unless he was flying an "open jaw " route, he had flown through Narita both directions. At Nartia, everyone goes through security and half of the time, they want to look in my carry on (it might have been the water pump that I was taking to LOS 4 years ago). I'm surprised that his hand gin made it through security on the out bound portion (unless, he didn't have the gun with him then).

"Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit had confessed to owning the pistol"

and now...

Camronwit's gun found to be unregistered

JAPANESE forensic authorities have learned that the gun the former Metropolitan Police commissioner Camronwit Toopkrajank had allegedly taken from Thailand was not legally registered, a source said yesterday.

Authorities took the North American Arms .22-calibre gun to determine its power and check if it was legally registered after Camronwit was arrested at Tokyo's Narita International Airport on Monday for carrying a weapon.

A highly placed source in Japan said the gun had only Arabic numbers and English letters crafted by the factory that produced the gun, identifying the country in which the gun was sold. He did not say which country.

The source said if the gun was legally registered and taxes were paid, it should have had Thai numbers and letters on the handle as the North American Arms .22 is a small pistol.

The source said it would depend on the Japanese prosecutors' judgement as to whether Camronwit would face heavier punishment for illegally carrying arms. He said carrying a gun is a serious crime, and whether or not the pistol was legal or not may be irrelevant.

Camronwit remains in police custody in Tokyo, pending prosecution.

National police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang instructed Police Region One commissioner Pol Lt-General Amnuay Nimano to find out how Camronwit was able to depart Thailand with the gun, and Amnuay then instructed Samut Prakan provincial chief Pol Maj-General Thana Chuwong to probe the incident.

Thana reported that Camronwit had arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport with three bags that were checked in, while his two carry-on bags - one on wheels and another with a strap - passed through X-ray without any banned objects being detected. He was flying business class with Thai Airways.

Camronwit's aide had earlier said that the former top cop usually packed his medication in checked-in luggage, but the day he was arrested in Tokyo, his medication bag was in his hand luggage. The pistol was found in his medication bag.

The former police officer left Thailand for Japan on a Thursday by Thai Airways flight TG 640 at 9pm and was arrested while he was about to leave Japan for Thailand on Monday at 5pm.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Camronwits-gun-found-to-be-unregistered-30263264.html

I posted two weeks ago about the number of times I had my carry on checked at BKK, Narita and Detroit (4 times), even though I never left a secured exit. I assume that checked bags are also x-rayed at BKK. Is it common practice for Thai government officials leaving Thailand on an international flight to be exempted from having their suitcases examined? Would he have been given the same courtesy in Japan with his checked luggage? In other words, is the only reason that we are reading about this is because he forgot to put the gun in his checked bag?