Thailand-China Submarine Deal: Us Taking A Backseat To Chinese As Superpower Influence

cavanami

Good to see that Thailand has money to burn! Don't bother to improve education, or the highways,

etc etc etc

Can't wait to see them putt-putting in the river...

Thailand-China Submarine Deal: US Taking A Backseat To Chinese As Superpower Influence

http://www.ibtimes.com/thailand-china-submarine-deal-us-taking-backseat-chinese-superpower-influence-2005729

A controversial billion-dollar submarine deal between China and Thailand has aggravated relations between the U.S. and Thailand, which could potentially disrupt the greater U.S. naval “pivot†in the region, reports indicate. Thailand’s military junta-led government approved the purchase of three attack submarines earlier this month from China, bridging military ties with Beijing as Washington took a step back.

Historically, Bangkok has been a crucial ally to American forces in the region and has been key to the U.S. military's "Asia pivot," which relies on regional alliances as a tool to maintain peace in the region. However, relations have been strained since a military coup in 2014 ousted Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra and put Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha in office. Now, economic and military bilateral relations between Beijing and Bangkok continue to strengthen as relations with the U.S. take a backseat. The U.S. State Department has expressed reluctance to work with Prayuth, linking him to human rights violations and other abuses of power. During the political instability following the coup, the U.S. also scaled back from its annual joint military exercises with Thailand, called Cobra Gold, and postponed discussion of further training exercises, leaving room for Beijing to fortify ties.

“The U.S. is giving the junta the cold shoulder, apparent during the Cobra Gold Exercise,†Martin Sebastian, head of the Center for Maritime Security and Diplomacy at the Maritime Institute of Malaysia, told Defense News.

America favours weak goverments they have a strong influence over. Their nose becomes out of joint when leaders of other countries don't toe the line .. I believe they have done considerable damage with their outbursts not undertanding the situation in Thailand, and it will not be forgotten ...

It makes me smile when I see things like this going on. Having worked with the Thai military for a good number of years, mostly air farce (not mis-spelled) I can't really ever see anyone ever being in awe of them. Much of what they have, and it's very little, is so old any visits to a site is more a museum visit. No joke. No wonder they get nervous about people taking pictures. I've been on the carrier as well. What a joke that is. They did have some harriers but only one serviceable engine they had to swap between airframes so as not to use up frame hours.

Much of the comms is 1960's vintage

Last night, 6 Pm, the PWA shuts the water down. No water all night!

This morning, 4 Am, no electric.

The idiots can't keep the utilities going, WTF, now they want submarines :dunno:

Oh, and possible that Bangkok will not have water because of little rain....let's not spend any money so as

to install equipment to desalinate water for Bangkok!!!

Flaming azzholes!!! but of course, the Chinese will not be giving any tea money for the $1B purchase :mooning::rotl: :rotl: :rotl: :rotl:

It makes me smile when I see things like this going on. Having worked with the Thai military for a good number of years, mostly air farce (not mis-spelled) I can't really ever see anyone ever being in awe of them. Much of what they have, and it's very little, is so old any visits to a site is more a museum visit. No joke. No wonder they get nervous about people taking pictures. I've been on the carrier as well. What a joke that is. They did have some harriers but only one serviceable engine they had to swap between airframes so as not to use up frame hours.

Much of the comms is 1960's vintage

Back in the late 1970s, the saying at JUSMAG was that if Hanoi ever invaded, the Thai Army would fight to the last Border Patrol policeman. (Actually, the US Army praised the Thai Army Special Forces, but they didn't think much of the rest.)

Back in the late 1970s, the saying at JUSMAG was that if Hanoi ever invaded, the Thai Army would fight to the last Border Patrol policeman. (Actually, the US Army praised the Thai Army Special Forces, but they didn't think much of the rest.)

Indeed that may well have been and still may be the case but if the military infrastructure and support are an indicator of the force in general they will be doing it with sticks and stones. Manpower I'm sure they've got, conscripts if nothing else, but in terms of hardware they seem to be way behind the curve.

Getting back to the subs I wonder what the annual support budget is? That should be far more significant to all than the simple purchase price. My experience with contracts in Thailand seems to be that no money is allocated for the life time running and support costs.