Panthip Plaza shopping hours, DVD's

Looking for the shopping hours including weekend and weekday opening and closing times. Finally be back to LOS in November to do some fun and shopping after returning to the real world 10 months ago, but will only be in BBK for a few days before taking off to the south island of Koh Samui.

Dvd's : real fakes or cheap Thai knockoff?

: real fakes come from Hong Kong, K.L

: Knockoffs original in Thailand

Is it buyer beware for these items in Panthip or have all the vendors gone upscale and stopped selling those poor quality,cheap Thai knockoffs?

Shit.

Hi, I think the official hours are 10-9pm, but some of the smaller stalls open earlier, around 9. Aas for DVD's, I got a better price on SuriaThai and a few other movies at the Emporium. Some of the "real" DVD's are close in price at Warehouse and other venues. Best to watch your step buying any software or DVD/VCD etc at Pantip. It is Buyer beware. One note, some DVD's may not run on Players in the USA, or be formatted for your T.v., same is true I suppose with other countries as well. There may be a compatability issue. Good Luck!

DVD's are VERY easy to work out, as long as you know a bit about DVD's.

Ie, if they have a copy of "The Matrix" that lists all the extra features etc then it's 99.9% likely it will be a copy from the real dvd. Thus, your 200 baht copy will be perfect.

If they have "Spiderman"...it will be a fake copy / movie reel copy. Simply, Spiderman does not exist yet on DVD...so there can't be a copy etc.

Matrix does...so that will be a copy.

Generally, BRAND NEW films will be copies of the film (ie NOT DVD)

Last time there I bought Phantom Menace / Blow / The Pledge / Apocalypse Now etc etc...all proper dvd copies.

There's an even simpler way to tell...some shops their have TV's set up. Just ask them to play it for you. (normally 250 baht each at these stores)

Thanks to each of you.

Monkey: Thanks for th lowdown on actual fake Dvd's and those which are really fake Dvd's. On my last trip to LOS I spend most of my time in Phuket. Paid on average 220B for Dvd's that had Thai and English sub'titles. Of the 60 I bought only one would not play at home. But I solved that problem by buying a super cheap Dvd player. Each DvD had a region 1 or ALL printed on it. A place like Phuket must be thinking about it's reputation with all the farangs about.

Old H. Thanks for the hours. I will be arriving in BBK at 23:55. Plan to spend 2 nights at the GP before heading South.

Shit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived