The Way The West Really Was ...

Flashermac

I know about it because I wrote a feature on it about 30 years ago for the Bangkok Post. I talked to the handful of Thai WWI vets who showed up for the 11 November memorial at the Monument to the WWI vets. I had some nice photos of the vets, including some touching ones of the old soldiers returning their flags to the National Museum and marching into the sunset. (Unfortunately, Roger Crutchley managed to "misplace them" all.) That was the first of my freelance writing I submitted to the Post.

Now ... without googling ... tell me where that monument is. ;)

The Thai memorial is still held there each year. Ironically, Siam declared war on Germany and Austria-Hungary, who'd never done anything against them, hoping it would help protect them from Britain and France, which had!

http://www.tour-bang...nary-force.html

p.s. The declaration did cause problems, since the railways had been built by and were being run by German nationals. Suddenly the engine drivers were all locked up.

So your saying you know about WW1 - which year did it end?

" Sort of like Thais, who are still taught a version of history in school that Thai historians have known for decades is wrong."

http://www.firstworl...es/thailand.htm

I wonder how many farang even know Thailand deployed an expeditionary force to fight on the side of the Western powers during the Great War in Europe 1914 – 1919. and to those Thai's that lost their lives in this war ....

https://en.wikipedia..._in_World_War_I

It goes without saying I have a limited knowledge of events of all world wars and only from what I have read or seen on documentries .....

Our national flag was changed at this point in history to how it is today ..

White for religion,

Blue for the monarchy

Red to represent the blood of soldiers prepared to lay down their lives

The last Thai veteran ... I met him when I attended the memorial years ago, and he told me about that long voyage by steamship from Bangkok to southern France. At that time there were about 20 WWI veterans still living.

He died 9 October 203, age 106.

"It was reported from Bangkok, Thailand, that Yod Sangrungruang,Thailand's last World War I veteran, who volunteered to fight with

Allied forces in France and was later decorated with the Legiond'Honneur, died Thursday, October 9, 2003,at the age of 106.

Yod died of natural causes after being hospitalized in Phitsanulok,Thailand, the province where he was born in 1897, The Nation newspaper reported Friday.

He was drafted into the Thai army at age 20 and volunteered to serve with Allied forces in France, where he served for a year and three months until the war ended.

Yod was the sole surviving member of the 1,284 Thai soldiers who served in Europe as part of the Royal Thai Expeditionary Force. He worked as an airplane mechanic with the French military.

He returned to Thailand in June 1919 and was eventually elected head of his village."

I wonder how many farang even know the Japanese fought the Germans in the trenches alongside their allies the western powers during the Great War in Europe 1914 – 1919 ....

post-55327-0-25044900-1447771082_thumb.jpg