Senior Thai Police Seeks Asylum In Australia

Coss

Pol Major General Paween Pongsirin, the leader of Thailand's investigation team into Rohingya trafficking, is seeking political asylum in Australia.

"I can’t stay in Thailand. It’s dangerous. If I remained in the police force, I would be in danger. I had sought help from the highers-up, but there was no help, no protection, no mercy and no compassion," he told The Nation.

His plan to seeks the asylum broke out today. Arriving in Melbourne a few days ago on a tourist visa, he told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's 7.30 programme and Guardian Australia he plans to seek asylum.

Paween, 57, said he resigned last month after he was transferred against his will to an insurgency-plagued region in the deep south of Thailand. He told Guardian that traffickers he was pursuing were influential in this region and "senior police" in the area were involved with the trade. He told his superiors that he feared for his life if he were sent there, but says his protests were ignored.

Paween said he hoped Australia would grant him asylum.

"I worked in the trafficking area to help human beings who were in trouble," he said. "I wasn't thinking of a personal benefit but now it is me who is in trouble. I believe there should be some safe place for me, somewhere on this earth to help me."

http://www.nationmul...a-30274654.html

Christ, anyone in that position - their story and threats true or false - should just sit down and be quiet and SHUT THE FUCK UP! Bring all that shit on yourself, when you claim to be seeking protection? How is it that these folks don't realize that perhaps later would be the time to open their mouths to the press? Political stuff gets out of control of administrative decisions like asylum, very quickly... Not like he didn't know what he was engaged in, all serious stuff...

It's obvious to me, he was told to root out the perpetrators of these despicable situations, by his superiors, who had been told for years, by the folk down south that it was not Thais that were doing this.

When he found that those same folk, were actually the ones responsible, his bosses hung him out to dry.

He looked for an escape route, which he has found.

PM asks Rohinya investigation chief to return home to expose truth about threats

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-ocha today called on the police officer who claimed to be threatened with life and sought asylum in Australia to return to the country with promise to drastically tackle those who threatened him.

961-wpcf_728x409.jpg

He told the officer Pol Maj-Gen Paween Pongsirin, former chief investigator of Rohingya trafficking racket, to return to the country and expose the names of those people who threatened him.

He promised that these people would be drastically dealt with no matter who they are or how influential they be.

He asked the officer if he still loved his country for his remarks he made to the foreign media.

He said he isn’t his enemy and would like him to return to tell the truth.

Earlier 8th Region Police commissioner Pol Lt Gen Thesa Siriwatho dismissed all what the officer told the foreign media saying it was groundless.

He said as far as he was assigned to handle human trafficking case, he never heard of such threat.

Earlier Pol Maj-Gen Paween caused an uproar in the police circle when he told the Guardian online news agency in Melbourne that he felt unsafe living in Thailand because he was under threats for his role as head of a panel investigating the trafficking of Rohingya illegal immigrants into the country early this year. He reportedly said he planned to apply for political asylum in Australia.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/video-pm-asks-rohinya-investigation-chief-to-return-home-to-expose-truth-about-threats

via Thai Visa