Chokers Take Note

bust

27 May 2016 • 6:43pm

More than forty years after he invented it, Dr Henry Heimlich has used his lifesaving technique to save a choking woman at his retirement home.

Dr Heimlich used his manoeuvre on fellow resident Patty Ris, 87, to dislodge a piece of hamburger from her airway, employees at Deupree House in Cincinnati said.

It is believed to be only the second time Dr Heimlich has done so in an emergency, after telling the BBC in 2003 that he used the manoeuvre on a choking man in a restaurant.

“I did the Heimlich Manoeuvre – of course,†Dr Heimlich told the Cincinnati Enquirer on Friday.

“She was going to die if she wasn’t treated. I did it, and a piece of food with some bone in it flew out of her mouth.â€

He added: “When I used it, and she recovered quickly, it made me appreciate how wonderful it has been to be able to save all those lives.â€

The doctor, who has lived in the 120-apartment complex for six years, told Cincinnati Enquirer, that he felt a satisfaction knowing it was working all over the world.

99258171_Dr_Henry_Heimlich_NEWS-large_trans++EDjTm7JpzhSGR1_8ApEWQA1vLvhkMtVb21dMmpQBfEs.jpg

The retired chest surgeon explained that Ms Ris never lost consciousness but initially was so shocked, she could not speak. “I, however, just sat there absolutely smiling as big as I could,†Dr Heimlich said.

But the 96-year-old, who swims and exercises regularly, said the woman recovered quickly after the doctor’s quick action, which involves performing abdominal thrusts on the choking individual dislodge the blockage.

Such was the speed at which Dr Heimlich saved Ms Ris, staff at the restaurant found that when they rushed to help the choking woman, the doctor had already performed his technique.

He dashed out of his seat, put his arms around her and pressed on her abdomen below the rib cage, following his own instructions, which are displayed on posters required to be displayed in most restaurants in the United States, although some laws have been discontinued.

After he saved her, Ms Ris wrote Dr Heimlich a note, saying: “God put me in this seat next to you,†she told the local newspaper.

Dr Heimlich came up with the technique after working on different ideas in 1974 and it is recommended for the general public, not just medical personnel.

It all began with experiences involving beagle dogs and meat but it was when he found that pressing upward on a dog's diaphragm led to the meat coming out swiftly that the doctor started to see results from his efforts.

After he wrote about his findings in a US medical journal, stories were published about successful results adopting the method but it was not until an editorial in August 12, 1974's issue of Journal of the American Medical Association that it was called "the Heimlich manoeuvre".

His son said he was impressed by what happened: "Just the fact that a 96-year-old man could perform that, is impressive," his son Phil Heimlich said.

“He swims three or four times a week and he goes to the symphony and the ballet. I hear he performed his manoeuvre with great agility. I have always been very proud of my dad and I believe he is the person who has saved more lives than anyone living,†he said.

99239542_Heimlichman-news-large_trans++FEEiND-iVAHWLoyxZQxve243XPl6q3cIIIXaHIrOW74.jpg

In 2003, the doctor described the first time he used the technique while having lunch: “I was in this club restaurant eating when I heard someone calling Dr Heimlich. I turned around and saw a man choking so I did the Heimlich Manoeuvre and got it out and then went on and had my lunch.

"Everybody in the world knows about the Heimlich Manoeuvre and it is in all the dictionaries. It has just got into the Oxford Dictionary.

"It is very gratifying to me. I have been in China, Africa and England and everyone knows about it. They all say to me 'are you Dr Heimlich of the Heimlich Manoeuvre?' They will say to me 'you saved my child'."