Facebook Demonstrates It's An Advertising Enabler

Coss

Publishers and media companies had a rude awakening Thursday when Facebook announced sweeping changes to its News Feed.

In a dramatic shake-up, Facebook said it would start playing up status updates from friends and family in the News Feed, effectively deprioritizing content from media publishers and brands.

Publishers in particular – many of whom have relied on Facebook to build up huge audiences and achieve viral gold – are likely to take a hit from the change.

Many have already been seeing a drop in Facebook referred readership in recent months as the company has conducted tests designed to amplify users’ content and weed out clickbait in the face of mounting criticism that it has been a platform for misinformation and fake news.

“Facebook is dramatically reshaping its business in response to the first real existential risk since gaining dominance,†Derek Mead, Vice Media’s global executive editor who was previously the editor-in-chief of Motherboard, said in a tweet. “And media is collateral damage.â€...

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/media-companies-and-publishers-react-to-facebooks-sweeping-news-feed-changes-2018-1?r=US&IR=T

What is perhaps surprising is that Facebook is taking any action at all.

The main reason I don't use Facebook remains - advertising.

I heard an interesting discussion on BBC world radio yesterday discussing this and other aspects of the Facebook/tweeting/google world, vis a vis truth and privacy.

Whilst the Facebook changes are supposedly for improving the "Social" experience, all of the so called 'experts' on the discussion, noted:

People disengaged from the real world

People immersed in post truth beliefs

These experts are bemoaning the reality of algorithm based targeting and how the populace is not just tracked, but led.

A good point was raised that the "fake news" etc in the media, in the 1920s, allowed the rise to prominence, of those wonderful folk, the Nazis.

I think most on this board are of a similar view.

I can remember when Google was born, saying to anyone that would listen (and being met with blank and confused looks) that anything based in the most part on popularity was a recipe for disaster and that fecklessness would rule the day, with teenage girl's fatuous fascination, with the latest "David Cassidy", swamping the ether.

See Kardashians... Trump... Alt right/left...

keep up?

OK, I guess I can explain for you:

I can remember when Google was born, {this means and refers to, a time, some 20~30 years ago}

saying to anyone that would listen (and being met with blank and confused looks) that anything based in the most part on popularity was a recipe for disaster and that fecklessness would rule the day, with teenage girl's fatuous fascination, {this still refers to, a time, some 20~30 years ago}

with the latest "David Cassidy", swamping the ether. {this really still means and refers to, a time, 20~30 years ago when David Cassidy was still alive}