Shellfish Poisoning - Watch Out!!

zanemay

Jag,

when in BKK last January I ate at the same place and the girl I was with tried to talk me out of it saying it was unclean. I had eaten there before without problem but my friend refused to eat it and ate something else. I should have listened to her because I got sick as a dog for 2 days.

I really cain belive all the people that say they love the thai food, or the food in malaysia, now I love both places, but I went to a food market, in malaysia, and just about blew chuncks, just from the smell, and the places are flithy with flys, and food all out in the open,and nonething really tasted good.. I like to go there, because I lose weight... because the sight and smell of the food in both places, is enough to make me seriousy lose my appetite, and what about the storys of thais, trying to make a few extra bucks, by putting lead. or mecury, in the fish to make it weigh more, I would not put it past them, the food in chicago is the best in the world and the resturants as well, not as much fun people watching, and not the easy women, but the food taste better, and the supermarkets have fresher cleaner food....for real..really...

Earlier this year or late last year, there was an Asian Snooker competition at the Merchant Court Hotel (on Rachadapisek) involving Brits, Thais, etc. World class as I recall but dont have any info on what snooker events are regularly scheduled there.

• 4 weeks later...

The risk with sushi and sashimi is not so much food poisoning, although that is possible, but parasites. Many parasites in fish are two-stagers--they are encysted in the host fish's flesh and survive when the host fish is eaten. Then they lay eggs in the new predator host (you.) Well-trained sushi chefs know where to look for encysted parasites and cut them out. For this reason I would never eat sushi or sashimi in a Chinese or Korean restaurant. The Japanese people have a relatively high rate of parasites. Cooked items, like shrimp and eel, would be safe from this risk.

Khun Pad Thai

If this holds true then I should be dead by now. I consume much Sushi or Sashimi. I really love it. Never heard this parasite story before.

But maybe that's the reason why Japanese people have the world's highest life expectancy rate. smile.gif

Had an almost photocopy experience. A buddy had made friends with several BGs by writing Dear BF letters for them.

We were invited to a birthday party for one of them. All kinds of food including mussels. I'm generally not a bivalve person, but I love shrimp and lobster. I decided to try the mussels as they had that great nam jim with the garlic and chili.

About 4 or 5 AM I started with severe cramps. I felt like I was going to die. Spiked a fever of about 105 degrees. My girlfriend came over to see me the next morning. I couldn't explain where I got sick, as she was not in the scene. She told me to go see a doctor. I was concerned about the expense if I ended up in the hospital, so I declined.

She nursed me back to health over the course of the next 3 days. Lipo, Sponsor, and Khao tom saved my life. Well, plus some antibiotics she got at the pharmacy.

>The Japanese people have a relatively high rate of parasites. <

thanks for the warning. next time i eat a japanese i make sure to cook them well.

Whats potentially worse than the GI distress from shekllfish are the red tide toxins...even in a place as pristine as Alaska you can die from eating even cooked shellfish from unapproved (tested) places...

I would never eat any raw seafood in a foreign country, except maybe in Japan if I was satisfied as to the expertise of the chef...the only raw seafood I eat here is sushi...

Incidently, one way to ensure no parasites in sushi is not just to rely on the chef, but to freeze the fish first for 24 hours...that kills them...I always take this step before I make red salmon Graavlax.....

Archived