A more sober reflection on Soccer and world sports

itsmedave

"49ers aren't good anymore and the two don't meet in the playoffs anymore and it was a short lived one. "

Huh? The 49ers finished 12-4 and went to the playoffs last year. They may not presently be great, but I think that counts as good.

The Packers and 49ers have met in the playoffs or regular season almost every year for the last decade and a half.

A few NFL rivalries that are the most intense: Bears/Packers, Skins/Cowboys, Dolphins/Bills. These seem to transcend which team is hot or the other team is down. Yankees/Red Sox rivalry is nearly 100 years long and is generally considered the most intense in MLB, with the Yankees usually on top. Throw in the Bambino curse and you have US sports most intense rivalry. Hardly a so-so competition.

Okay, okay, I concede....a little. Bosox/ Yankees. My main point is the rivalries aren't as intense anymore. I don't feel it, maybe you all do, that's fine. Intra division rivalries are always gonna carry a little more weight as you have to play them twice a year. But that's changing now with the changes. The NFL ain't what it used to be and as for baseball? Fahgetabout as Joe Pesci used to say. The one thing they had going with the homeruns is now being tainted by allegations of players 'juicing' up.

I find myself tuning more and more in playoffs. I can stand to miss regular season games. Monday night games are a joke half the time.

Having watched both American sports and soccer I gotta a big edge to soccer regarding rivalries. Only college football rivals it. Are Packers/49ers more intense than Michigan v. Ohio State?

Archived