Dee Kun Na

FF:

> Hope we are friends again now .

Sure, mai mii panhaa!

As to me sounding arrogant, I know that I sometimes come across that way. I often say to people "How can we have a discussion if you won't agree with me?" ;->

Cheers,

JS2

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sushi,

> Not knowing the SCT script, can you explain

> if a person reading it will get the tones right

Yes, certainly. If it is obvious enough what I write, I omit the tone marks, but normally you're supposed to use them.

It is very Easy:

- = Medium

' = Low

" = Falling

^ = High

+ = Rising

Example: /phom+ ja' pai- haa+ khao+ thii" baan"/

(I will go visit him at home)

It is very useful to indicate the tones if the context does not indicate which word you are using. The difference between haa+ (search) and haa" (5) , or khaaw' (news), khaaw" (rice), khaaw+ (white), for example, becomes immediately clear...

Regards, JS2

You pretty obviously insulted people and rubbished previous posts first, so it's a bit cheeky to demand respect in response.

As a counter-example to your theory, it looks as though I probably know the standard transcription systems already, from using Linguaphone courses and others. However, if someone asks a question using a different format, I try to reply using their notation so that they understand it.

• 2 weeks later...

"The people who write "dee" instead of "dii", "choke" instead of "chook", "mark" instead of "maak" (etc) have by this very fact already disqualified themselves of being serious about learning the Thai language... "

Uh-oh... brace yourselves everyone, here come the THAI LANGUAGE STUDENT SNOBS! Run for the hills!!!!

"And since you seem to know SCT, you will have noticed that all posters who are really knowledgeable about the Thai language do use it as well."

Perhaps the correlation is that the very good Thai speakers are out there speaking Thai while the academics are in here talking about it (in a romanized letter system that is clever enough to have its own acronym).

Fact is most well respected Thai schools stop using romanized letters after about week 2 and those I learned were not according to this system. Didn't matter anyway as our primary goal was learning Thai, not some farang system describing Thai.

Since not everyone knows that system anyway, and even fewer care to learn it (as I'd rather spend my time learning how to speak clearly), when I write a message I'll use 'choke dee' instead of chook dii because otherwise you'll get people reading it as if it rhymes with shook die.

I maintain, and always maintain, that the most important factor is being able to SPEAK CLEARLY.

Honestly if it's too hard to figure out what someone is trying to say when they ask for a translation of 'ben kwai ru plow' because they didn't use the correct 'system' then one really isn't that good in Thai to begin with.

Archived