Best place to watch the World Cup?

Long Gun

After Racha and I had totally failed to get any response out of a dour, lifeless German crowd in Haus Munchen by supporting Korea and jeering the German cheats (at one point I thought I had been transported back in time to the UK 30 years ago when the (black) German sub was greeted with monkey noises from one of the assembled intelligentsia - did they ever find Martin Borman?) I thought it was time for a change of venue for the Brazil game.

We were heading for one of the big outdoor screens at Siam Discovery or World Trade when I bumped into some students who strongly recommended the National Stadium. We had a look at the Siam set-up - fantastic bright, clear screen but limited seating - couldn't sit on the ground and still see - so we wandered across the road. Outside MBK there was a decent screen and plenty of room but I wanted to see what the stadium had to offer. In the first gate, past all the food and drink and souvenir stalls and up a couple of flights of stairs and WOW!! A HUGE indoor theatre, superb, massive screen with other large screens around the walls. Estimated crowd, 4-5,000 (many of whom were wearing those rather fetching university uniforms!). Beer Singh and Chang available at B30 per can. The English commentary could be heard at times in the background but it seemed as if the commentary may have actually been done live by some guys at the front who were facing small monitors rather than the big screen. Possible highlight, one of those only-in-Thailand moments when Ronaldo scored (VERY clever goal flicking the ball on the run and catching the keeper unawares - you could see the glee on his face as he did it) which prompted fireworks and a team of dancers rushing out onto the stage to perform a little routine!! Each time Ronaldhino's face appeared there would be a lots of Oohs and Aaahs and a round of applause!

I intend to return on Sunday and would like to suggest a little Nanaplaza party there. It's right outside the skytrain station and next to MBK. Perhaps we could have lunch at MBK, fill a coolbox or two and get in early for a decent seat. It's 6.00 pm kick off and I don't know how early you would need to be. We got in after kick off last night and ended up behind a lighting gantry but it was bearable, the other screens helped. Maybe 4.00 pm? Once we're in, we can guard the seats in shifts I suppose.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

LG

"After Racha and I had totally failed to get any response out of a dour, lifeless German crowd in Haus Munchen by supporting Korea and jeering the German cheats (at one point I thought I had been transported back in time to the UK 30 years ago when the (black) German sub was greeted with monkey noises from one of the assembled intelligentsia - did they ever find Martin Borman?)..."

LG,

do I read here in between the lines the frustration of an English supporter and his sufferring by the fact that his team once again has returned home from the World Cup more than one week earlier than the German team?

Cheers,

BkkGeorge

LG,

do I read here in between the lines the frustration of an English supporter and his sufferring by the fact that his team once again has returned home from the World Cup more than one week earlier than the German team?

No, honestly, you don't. I prefer these tournaments when England are out and I can just enjoy the football and the spectacle - fortunately this tends to happen rather early in most cases! After watching England v Brazil at the office with a very partisan crowd, much enlivened by some provocative Aussies with a Brazilian flag, I was shocked at how dead the atmosphere was the other night.

As for the racist grunting, I was, again, shocked. Not only by the fact that it happened in a public place, nor that it was aimed at a member of the racist's own national team but more by the fact that nobody else challenged it, several just sitting chuckling smugly, apparently in approval of this display of 'wit'. To my knowledge I was the only one who commented but maybe you heard something in German that I missed?

BkkGeorge -

actually I can visualize the "uhh uhh uhh"-sound making fascist early retiree very well and I'd loved to be there, give him a LOUD response in german, my very personal middle finger and more (if he asked for it). Yet I wasn't there...

Anyway:

The stadium is a great place to watch the game. Every Nanaplaza'er who's in town and thinks he's worthy should attend. But we need to secure decent seats early as there will be LOTS of spectators. So anybody who likes to come, wants to know where to meet, how to get there or has related questions...speak up.

Trying to convince Mrs. Frog to sit outside on a Sunday afternoon with 10,000 people will be no easy task.

She has already been lobbying to see it at one of the IMAXes.

Still, I shall try, as the idea sounds brilliant to me. I'll call Racha or PM if I meet w/ success.

froggo

Indoors and with air con working,though not strong.Screen outside MBK looks dwarf compared to the one in the stadium.Wishing I was there...

In the absence of any other suggestions, how about a long, leisurely scoff at Sizzler, from say 2.00 pm onwards, aiming to be in the Stadium by 4.00 pm?

I don't know if they have a branch in MBK but was told that there is one in either Siam Centre or Siam Discovery. Can anyone confirm (or come up with a suitable alternative).

I guess the Siam Intercontinental Sunday brunch would be a goodie but likely to be a little jammed as it's the last ever day for the hotel. I read that all rooms have been booked for weeks. Any info?

LG

Archived