Padded Envelope sent to me--flagged by customs?

A friend from the west will be sending me a padded envelope. There's nothing illegal in it (I think), just some kefir grains that I can't get here, that I can use to make kefir (a yogurt-like drink)

I'm not buying them or anything, he's just sending them. Couple of tablespoons of little dehydrated pebbly type stuff.

Do you think this envelope would be intercepted by Thai customs? If not, what do you think they'd make me pay for something like this?

The envelope will have a personal return address, not business.

Appreciation for your advice.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably an excuse to charge you a few bht.

We had some Kraft "mack and cheese" confiscated a while back.

never got it, guess the customs guys wanted to try it.

also, had some electronis items sent in to BKK, they let the items go after paying a little tax, but kept all the 9V batteries that were packed with it.

I get the impression that its standard practice for someone at the Customs dept. to open all packages sent to falangs from overseas,I had a parcel opened but nothing was removed but there again it contained nothing of any great value.

the whole process seems to be highly irregular. i paid once 10 US$ customs for a few photocopies because on the commercial invoice was a worth of 10 US$ stated.

i usually tell everybody to state a worth of just 1 US$ and most of the time i don't have to pay anything.

i order sometimes from amazon.com, most of the times no customs payments, only once i had to pay, very strange.

so far i don't think that they have lost any parcel sent to me.

apart from that, i do not think that there is a different policy for farang than for thais.

Every 2 weeks or so I would send something to my gf (Thai national). Most of the parcels were padded envelopes.

Every single one has arrived, never been inspected, never any customs paid. Even on sport shoes.

In the "Value" field I always say "No commercial value".

We had some Kraft "mack and cheese" confiscated

If you are talking about the good old staple food of college Americans, you can buy this at Villa supermarket. I am continually amazed by what you can find in Bangkok.

Escape Rabbit:

yup! same stuff, but being send from farangland makes it

"special" just ask a thai smile.gif

BTW: in your shopping trips, have you ever seen a convection oven. ( not the itty bitty ones)?

all I have seen so far ( tessco) are good for about one burger patty:

Did you see any "Tang" next to the Mac and Cheese? Tang being another fine Kraft product. I say if it's good enough for the astronauts...., it'll be at Foodland!!!

joeyjojo;

Tang does not taste well when mixed with tequlla ( for me anyway)

Is it tang they serve on thai air? resembeles it somewhat?

Archived