Padded Envelope sent to me--flagged by customs?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

good for about one burger patty

LOL! I hear you on that. After looking around a bit, I was thinking about taking the plunge and getting a convection microwave as they allow baking just like an oven in addition to heating up stuff. I could use some soft chocolate chip cookies about now.

And actually Tang is one of my biggest nightmares. I worry there may come a day on the hot streets of Bangkok that instead of getting fresh squeezed orange juice, the vendor just pours up a glass of tang like the airlines. The siltiness of tang mixed with the Bangkok water would be too much to bear.

You never know what's going to happen with the customs folks. If the package goes straight through to your local PO, no problems. But if it gets sent to the big custom office of the PO near Hua Lamphong train station, figure it will cost you money -- maybe more than it's worth. (In which case, you may want to tell them to stuff it and just walk away.)

A year or so ago I had some medical supplies sent in from Korea. Now by law, medical supplies are not subject to duty. But I had to pay something anyway! I think they hit me for over a thousand baht on it -- and that's after a sympathetic postal officer talked his boss into lowering it for me. :-(

I couldn't beleive it last year when the cute gal at my neighbourhood grocery was handing out free samples of a "great new drink" called Tang. Hell, Tang is from the 1960s in the States. Who would buy the stuff here, when fresh squeezed orange juice costs no more???

Dave,

"any envelope sent to a thai girl from the west rarely arrives ,i think joe postman has it covered "

In 3 years I've yet to have an envelope addressed to a Thai woman fail to arrive at its intended destination in Thailand. Sometimes I use regular airmail, sometimes I use the USPS Global Priority service.

I've never sent a padded envelope, however.

Regards, JEff

"the whole process seems to be highly irregular. i paid once 10 US$ customs for a few photocopies because on the commercial invoice was a worth of 10 US$ stated."

A friend of mine had a similar problem. His company sent him a spare part for a machine that was essentially a flat metal disc about 4" in diameter required for some warranty work. The value of the piece is obviously very very low but the replacement cost of US$100 is what someone wrote on the commercial invoice so customs held the piece for US$200!!!!

Sounds like you people are getting fucked over big time, Tax on any electronics sent to a private individual is around 20% plus VAT, have paid it many times at Hulaumpong. In fact most taxes are around 20% except for motor vehicle parts which are around 40% plus VAT. These taxes are all for personal imports, never address it to a company!!

They are as efficient as Thais get, just remember to have an invoice of a low value and make sure the idiots sending it dont overinsure it in comparison to the invoice value.

Anything I have ever sent insured to Thailand arrives, Only once I never recieved a package from Singapore, because my mate didnt insure it like I told him. I have had parcels valued at 100AUD sent to me and no tax, its gotta be marked personal goods, gotta be sent by an individual, and gotta look like its a personal shipment.

Malaysia is infinitely worse than Thailand, they are downright thieves with large bribes going across the counter. They are even opening mail and printed material these days, and opening personal letters, I know this for a fact.

Never send questionable material there, its dangerous for the reciever.

what can you do when the stuff sent to you is needed urgently? there are times when you can do something, but at other times you simply have to bear with being fucked over.

shit happens.

fortunately it often goes the other way too. just last week i had a parcel i thought i will definately have to pay taxes, but when i picked it up - nothing!

Archived