Thai lit 101

The world needs another book recommendation like a BG needs the latest cellphone, I know. But I haven't seen this one mentioned here and it is really good, really!

It's The Politician & Other Stories by Thai author Khamsing Srinawk. I picked it up at Asia Bookstore in Emporium during my summer visit but got waylaid and only got to read it recently.

The book is a collection of short stories that take place in rural Thai locales (the author is from a village in Khorat province). We get a fascinating glimpse of life in the villages, like families battling over the rights of dung beetle, authority of the village headman, moneylenders, police and politicians, how a few hundred bahts change people (okay, most of the stories were written before 1970) . A girl disappears from the village and out of the blue reappears years later it seems as one of our working girls.

I liked the title story "Politician" (so apropos to the current situation although this was written in 1958) and the 2nd story in the collection "Breeding Stock". The humor here is quite devious. Let me quote a good passage from "Breeding Stock", where the brings home "a breeding chicken given by America":

quote:

He exaggerated a bit. "When this chicken is full grown it will be only a little smaller than a vulture. What do you think of that? The authorities said our Thai chickens are out of date, too small and the price is no good, so we have to get roosters from America"

The translation is good, perhaps too smooth (I often wander what gets lost in slick translations) and it is a slim book so I think one can zip through it during an afternoon by the poolside (or perhaps you can take it with you to Soi 7 Biergarten). These stories are much in spirit like our Cent's tales, of course without all his emotional bursts, and offer backgrounds from which many of our favorite girls come out of. I really enjoyed the book.

This is the only literature I've read by a Thai author.

Are there others that are available?

By the way, I found this book listed at amazon.com.

Ciao!

micsnee

edited to correct mispelling - micsnee

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: micsnee ]

quote:

This is the only literature I've read by a Thai author.

Are there others that are available?

Good to see a post about Thai lit! The book is now on my list of things to buy on my next trip.

A few years ago, there was a series of hardcover books by Thai authors in English translation, titled "Thai Modern Classics." Pale cover with "TMC" on the spine. About 10 or 12 volumes. I was lucky to find about 4-5 in the past few years, but they seem to be all out of stock at this point.

The one book from this series that stands out is called "Time in a Bottle" [Welaa nai kuat gaew] by Praphatsorn Seiwikun. A Thai version of "The Catcher in the Rye." About a teenage kid, his loves and troubles, and an ugly world around him. Well written and well translated. I think it was a bestseller in Thailand when it came out in 1995.

All of the books in the series are well translated, possibly by the same person.

Then there is Pira Sudham. He has a Web site but it's a lot cheaper to buy his books in Thailand. He is from Isaan, educated in UK, and he has about 4-5 books out, short stories or novels, I'm not sure (I'm not sure he's sure either), "Monsoon Country," "The People of Isarn," are best known. He writes in English and, frankly, his writing leaves a lot to be desired, but it's a rare opportunity to see the world through the eyes of a Thai.

Then there is "Many Lives" by Kukrit Pramoj. I only read one chapter (about a prostitute, of course) and liked it. Looking forward to reading the rest.

Finally, on my last trip, I bought two books by Chart Korbjitti, "Time," and "The Judgement," but haven't had a chance to read them yet.

I bought all of the above in Asia Books or DK Books (in Pattaya, Soi Post Office). Not prominently displayed but if you look hard enough you'll always find a Thai author in English translation.

Hi Mad Max

Thanks for your recommendations. Next time I go, I'll try to find them.

Actually, I wasn't really looking for any Thai literature that day but wanted to scope out Thai/English (and vice-versa) dictionaries and Thai lesson books at Asia Books. TG knowing I liked books picked "Politicians ..." and told me it was good. She was right smile.gif" border="0 but our relationship didn't last frown.gif" border="0

Ciao!

micsnee

Speaking of Thai lit, any fluent speakers of Thai on board who read Thai books in Thai language? I know a few who read Thai newspapers. I know that books are inherently more difficult to read and I was wondering what does it take to master the language to the point where you can enjoy literature.

I'm currently reading the Thai translation of the first Harry Potter book. Having read it in English already, it isn't all that difficult. I studied Thai seriously for two years with a private tutor, and have lived here for 12 years.

But I think that newspapers overall are far more difficult to comprehend than books. Sometimes it's all but impossible to decipher headlines, particularly, because they use so many abbreviations and slang phrases.

Several Thais have told me that newspaper headlines are the hardest to decifer. After 20 plus years, I still have trouble with them! The text of the stories, on the other hand, isn't hard to follow.

p.s. A favourite headline from the Bangkok Post from years ago. Some proofreader let a winner slip by: MAN SHOT DEAD SIX TIMES!

Archived