Thais Racist?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure that to over-charge a tourist has anything to do with the color of his skin or his race. Thais are better at cheating each other than they do tourists and expats, anyway. Why don't you reflect on this, too? In my daily life in LOS, i am never over-charged, but yes, i have to pay as a tourist in parks and possibly be over-charged sometimes if i don't pay attention. I am sure it's because of that specific thai person dealing with a farang. In san Francisco, everything is more expensive near the touristy areas. Are we racist?

"Not sure that to over-charge a tourist has anything to do with the color of his skin or his race"

Then how do they know he's a tourist?

They look at the colour of his skin and decide, this guy is not Thai I have to charge him more.

A mate of mine recently went to Thailand with his Vietnamese GF and she got in all places at Thai prices but he had to pay Farang prices, she looks like a Thai, he doesn't.

I like to think that if I pay a fee at a National Park it goes to the upkeep of that park, Ayyuthaya, Sukhothai etc. and am happy to pay what amounts to very little to me.

I choose not to go to places that charge tourists more for being foreigners when the money is just going into the pockets of an already rich business man, crocodile farms etc.

I broached this subject here in Vietnam where the hotels openly advertise different room rates for locals and foreigners and was told that they have to pay higher insurance for a foreigner so the prices are higher. (?)

They look at the colour of his skin and decide, this guy is not Thai I have to charge him more.

----------------------------------

That's reducing the definition of racism. What if the thai is not a cashier, and the tourist is only walking by and not interested in seeing the site? And are all thais having something to sell more expensively to tourists? I just do not think that tourist fleecing has anything to do with racism, (which is a feeling of deep hatred or prejudice, not just skin deep). A vacation in Italy would show you that quickly......

Hi!

In reply to:

[color:red]Not sure that to over-charge a tourist has anything to do with the color of his skin or his racecolor=red>

I'm not sure if you're right or wrong here but I did hear some years ago from a Swede living in Pattaya that Chinese on package tours are ripped of much worse than farangs.

regards

ALHOLK

This is not a flame in any way but to suggest that Farangs earn $30 000 - $100 000 p.a. is just not true.

I know many Brits who are either living in Thailand or frequent visitors who earn less than $30000.

As for the race issue

There is racism in some form in ALL countries. The fact I find most worrying is Thai racism is government run.

In the west racism is kept alive mainly by uneducated yobs, in Thailand it's either double pricing by the government or coming from the upper classes towards people from Isaan.

i.e. it comes from the people with influence.

Although I will admit there is Right Wing ideology creeping into European politics it is soon condemned by the majority.

This condemnation is not forth coming in Thailand

>This condemnation is not forth coming in Thailand <

that comes more from the fact that thais in general don't really care much about anything their governments say.

the daily actions of normal thai individual humans is what counts, and i find them a lot more accepting and tolerant towards foreigners than my own countrymen.

i would not want to be a foreigner in my own country...

Archived