Thais Racist?

I think the problem with this never ending discussion is that the Thai form of racism is not exactly the same as the Western form of racism. In my experience over 15 years Thais are not racist because they dislike your colour etc, the simply know that Thailand is the best country on earth and that all Thais are superior to all non Thais by definition. They have been told this from birth and can never change. Many resent tourists coming to their country and prostituting the daughters of Thai farmers. They choose to ignor the facts. A Thai man going to a Thai brothel on his way home is just being Thai, doing what Thai men do. A farang going to a go-go bar is corrupting the morals of innocent Thai girls! (OK, I have overstated that to be provocative, but you get my drift.))

CM

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the problem with this never ending discussion is that the Thai form of racism is not exactly the same as the Western form of racism

I think you just put your finger on it. It might be easier to frame a discussion based upon the finding that Thais are ethno-centric, and then proceed to talk about in what manner and to what degree. Furthermore try substituting the word racism with prejudice or discrimination. Racism is a loaded term as you mentioned above and would be inappropriate to describe the prejudice that a dark skinned rural person might suffer from a fair skinned middle class Thai from Bangkok. If you use the term prejudice or discrimanatory it will be easier to say what criteria prejudicial behavior is based upon. Race is a rather amorphous term that seems to set off some emotional triggers, so it is not a very usefull term unless one takes pains define it before using it in an argument.

I know that people often feel the victim when they have to bargain at a shop or the prices are not written on a menu. When prices are not fixed look at it this way. The fair price is somewhere between what you are willing to pay and what the merchant is willing to sell for. I doubt you could walk into a car dealership with a Rolex in any country and not have been noticed. The frustrating part is that in countries were most purchase are negotiated is that you quickly become tired of haggling over the price of a bag of nuts. This is were a local has a distinct advantage. A local is going to have a good idea of what is reasonable and what is not and the merchant is well aware that a local will quickly abandon the sale and go to the next merchant if the price is to high or the seller is not quickly moving towards an agreeable price.

In places were prices are typically fixed (like the West) sellers have other strategies for increasing their profit. In your own community you would be savvy to these devices but an outsider might not be. This happened to me last time I was in the US.

Excuse me but I think the price for those headphones was only $9.95

Yes Sir your right they were marked down from $23.95, but in her wisdom

your wife has elected to purchase a three year renewable extended warranty.

That will be $27.90 please.

Thats very kind of you to be so helpfull, could you tell me where I can find

a warranty center for Electronic Nighmare in Jakarta.

In the Netherlands my wife purchased a watch with a lifetime cleaning contract. The contract was written in Arabic, English, Indonesian, and Japanese. Do you think that there is a Dutch version of the contract? The watch face had a picture of a windmill and you can guess what the hour, minute and second hand looked like, in all fairness they didn't need to print the cleaning contract in Dutch because no Dutch person would buy such a watch.

As far as discrimination writ in law, I am with the folks that says its behaviour that is most important. Racial discrimmination is will documented (illegal) in US laws, just hope you are not pulled over, under reasonable suspician, driving, while black or brown, on your way to get turned down for a home loan.

So next time you are turned away at the doors of a Korean hostess bar in Bangkok take solice knowing that a farmer from Burirom was also turned away, moments ago, being equal and all the two of you will be like two pees in a pod.

AG

>In my experience over 15 years Thais are not racist because they dislike your colour etc, the simply know that Thailand is the best country on earth and that all Thais are superior to all non Thais by definition. They have been told this from birth and can never change. <

i don't know what kind of thai people you are around with, but neither my wife, nor her family, nor my numerous thai friends have ever let something like that drop. on the opposite, they constantly critizise the many problems this country is facing, and how fed up they are.

>Many resent tourists coming to their country and prostituting the daughters of Thai farmers.<

well, would you not resent it if your daughter/sister/cousin would have to prostitute herself?

>So next time you are turned away at the doors of a Korean hostess bar in Bangkok take solice knowing that a farmer from Burirom was also turned away, moments ago, being equal and all the two of you will be like two pees in a pod.<

i would say that the farmer from buriram will be turned away at more doors than a westerner.

i find the thai society way more "classist" than racist.

Hi all,

how about signs like the one down in a bar in the middle walking street, south pattaya stating something like: "arab people not to sit at his bar 'cos we don't like them discriminating and molesting innocent thai girls. we do respect your belief in islam though"?

if that is not pure racism(desriminating purely on race) then I don't know what. haven't seen stuff like that in other countries, but that doesn't mean they don't exist though...

any thoughts or similar signs around?

btw. stuff like double pricing etc. are fine with me if they can get away with it & so are the japanese/korean only clubs I guess, but the above!

funny thing though is that i have seen exactly those signs at some of the farang owned bars, can't recall having seen them at the thai owned bars.

>>So next time you are turned away at the doors of a Korean hostess bar in Bangkok take solace knowing that a farmer from Burirom was also turned away, moments ago, being equal and all the two of you will be like two pees in a pod.<<

>i would say that the farmer from buriram will be turned away at more doors

than a westerner. i find the thai society way more "classist" than racist"<

Fly,

My last comment was made tongue and cheek to the occasional punter who starts a I got turned way from a Japanese/Korean nightclub in Bangkok. Whats with that? thread. A Thai farmer would know better than to approach one of these places. In reality a Thai door keeper who tells you sooly Koleans only only says that because he doesn't know how to say Hazoodous waste area please keep a safe distance and don't think about proceeding without a gas mask. There is no way anyone could appreciate the combined olfactory exctasy of perspired alcohol, chain smoked cigarettes, and turnips marinated in brine with oysters, garlic and chili.

AG

I agree with adek..., cm1light has put his finger right on the issue. "Thais...simply know that Thailand is the best country on earth and that all Thais are superior to all non Thais by definition. They have been told this from birth and can never change." Excellent post.

And I guess this is what troubles me most about the Thai variant of racism or nationalism. The fact that it is just blandly accepted with little critical opposition. In my view, this makes the Thai variant more susceptible to manipulation by political leaders. I would only add that over over the past year and half or so we have seen evidence of why this aspect of Thai nationalism/racism is potentially very dangerous and troubling for foreign investors and ex pats.

Many resent tourists coming to their country and prostituting the daughters of Thai farmers

----------------------------------

Sorry for the semantics, but THEY prostitute their "daughters" and WE exploit them.... How sad this topic is gonna get, my God??? LOL

Archived